Them Rack Thingys

thenewboy

PLUGGER! but fair shout i`ve seen many an autobar systems and if I knew i`d get screwed around with on the davecooper order i`d of gone too you seen some happy autobar customers

Must say I seen a rack on a van the other day I wouldn`t like that personnaly can`t see it at all!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys,..

used the rack today to do the Stratford trial..(which was very good by the way...but VERY muddy)...the venue was about 75 miles for me and the rack was fine, so now I feel a bit more confident about it.

Gotta say I really miss my van though...that is definately the best way..just cant afford a car AND van at the mo.

i have the dave cooper 4x4 rack on a vitara,but it was on our old 413 suzuki(the wifes cars as i cant drive,or ride for that matter)

so i am sure it will fit a jimmny.

the only problem i have had in about 12 years is a couple sets of bolts have sheared off,now i keep a spare set in my tool kit,they luckily seem to go one at a time,so had no real dissasters,fingers crossed,or in your case barry stumps crossed.

I made my own bike rack and ran it for many years with no problems. There is a central tube which is removable (to allow hatchback to open and close) for the bike to lean against. It runs up the frame just before the footpeg. I thought it far better to prop the bike from a central point. I did have to move this tube when I changed bikes a few times though.

I only ever used 1 strap from the top of the boot lid to the outer handlebar. With this pulled tight the bike pulled against the tube, the whole lot (bike and rack) was under tension so didn't move at all. Plus it took some strain off the tow bar. The strap didn't have metal hooks, just stiched loops in the webbing. I had it made by a place that sold windsurfers and equipment. I wrapped it around the hinge of my boot lid and never took it off. When not in use it just sat inside the car.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else to use only 1 strap but I was lazy and always late!! As I said I did thousands of miles with no problems. Oh and occasionally I even used a lighting board!! I could whip the bike on and off in seconds. I would be home before some people had finished putting all thier straps on!!

Any tips on how to lift it on without scratching car? Is it a simple one man job?

Piece of cake, they're a lot lighter than they look. A little tip for getting the bike onto the rack without putting your back out: -

1) Push the bike up to the rack so that the front wheel is just level'ish with the side of the car and a foot away from the wheel slot thingy. The back wheel can be 2 or 3 foot away from the back of the car so that the bike is at an angle.

2) Get yourself in between the back wheel and the car/rack. Stick the bike in 1st gear to lock the rear wheel, push down on the forks and pull back into a wheelie and then aim the front into the slot thingy.

3) Move to the other side of the bike, one hand on the handlbar, one hand on the swinging arm, bend your knees (:) ) and lift the rear wheel into the slot.

I used to do it a*** about tit, rear wheel first with the front brake on. A skinny 7 stone weakling showed me how to do it simply with no effort :xmas:

Have no issues with my Autowbar rack, bike hardly moves at all with the two strap system I use, one round the back wheel through the upright and one up round the top clamp. very solid and you can't get it anywhere near the back window even if you push it around violently :xmas:

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

I do know a certain person close to me that tried riding a bike in,

popped a gentle wheelie, then tried to do some sort

of front wheel stoppie when it landed in the front wheel holder.

Flickinging the back wheel up and around did not happen tho,

just made a mess of the tailgate on his lasses car.

They are now not together !!!!!

:blush:

An old friend of mine who was a very good centre and National rider once rode his bike up onto his trailer, somehow got it wrong and launched the bike up the back of his Dad's nearly new BMW and through the rear windscreen !!!! I won't mention the name but if you're reading this JP I sincerely appologise for laughing uncontrollably.