Gas Gas 4 Stroke Conversion

andy m

:thumbup: Hi, I have just purchased a 95 G G 250 JT with a shot engine. I am planning to fit a 4 stroke engine Tlr200 or Jialing or whatever. Just wondering if there is anyone here that has done similar and if so what sort of a job is it. I have seen one at a trial in Gloucestershire and it looked quite good. Thanks :P

John Bliss (Cotswold motorcycles)has done a number of these and they go very well from what I've seen and they sound lovely.

I have ridden one of his trials bike conversions (with a modified JeiLing frame as opposed to the JeiLing engine in a Gasser conversion) and that was very good indeed. I can honestly say I would not loose any more marks on that than on my SY250 in the easy trials that I ride.

John used to ride an actual JeiLing trail bike in Trail bike trials to good effect, I never saw him short of grunt on that.

He is definately the man to talk to, I believe he can get the complete engines with electrics, without having to buy a doner bike.

I'm afraid I don't have any contact details for him, but he rides a lot of Miller rounds and LDT's in the Midlands/Gloucestershire area.

Sorry if I've spelt JeiLing wrong by the way.

Jon's number at cotswold motorcycles is 01242 239055.

Speaking from experience, its been a labour of love and cost 3x as much as I ever expected to graft a honda 4stroke motor into a 'modernish' chassis. Few things you might want to think about:-

a. carburetor - on the honda is slightly offset to the right of the engine normally exactly where the frame spar is. Aircleaner also.

b. gearbox sprocket alignment

c. height of the motor (interference with tank/frame and/or loss of ground clearance)- careful cos it may be engine out to adjust valve clearances.

d. honda engine costs especially TLR (i've been quoted

Edited by andyrothers

:D Thanks for the replies, I had not looked at TMX properly until last night and saw the Yam engined one. I have spoken to John Bliss about the conversion a week ago just to pick his brains on the subject. Thanks again :D