Sherco Rad

bikespace

My radiator sprung a leak yesterday. No visible damage, just seaping out.

Is it worth trying to get these fixed, or just delaying the inevitable?

My line of thought at the moment - Get a new one and I can put my mind at rest. Get it repaired, and I'll always have the concern that it can go again. Manx 2 day trial this year. Fairly big expense, just to do a few sections.

Anybody know what sort of price a new one is? Will phone our local dealer tomorrow.

Cheers

Watkins Radiators , Gloucester, 01452 527135.

Excellent job at reasonable cost compared to new one.

Had mine repaired last November still perfect. :D

Do a search on "sherco radiator" in the forums and go back to last november for more info.

Mine was leaking at several of the vertical tubes where they enter the bottom tank bit, god knows how they got in to braze it. You shouldn't suffer from corrosion if you've used proper coolant. The rads are pressure tested after repair so presumably any weak bit would blow out.

I stripped it off today, and cleaned up it looks pretty good. If anywhere, the leak looks to be where you mention, where the bars meet the bottom tank. It's had the right coolant, well actually VW stuff but I remember it was recommended by GasGas I think, 50:50 mix, or was it 25%, dunno, but mixed about a gallon a couple of years ago. Rad flushed through looks nice and clean anyway.

Jools mentioned somewhere local he'd had his done. If I can find them I'll try there, otherwise off to Gloucester.

Cheers.

P.S. Jools - Is this likely to be the place? Only one I can find (not in yellow pages - every bugger's stopped using them it seems):

Wrexham Radiators

Bridge Street , Wrexham , Clwyd LL13 7HP

yep that them bs.

I completly twisted it and snaped half of the vertical tube things on the gasgas rad in january 05 and it was absolutly fine all year. they only had it a couple of days too. fully presure tested etc before they give it you back.

I had to repair my rad.(sherco 290).The plastic cowl round the fan had CHAFFED the vertical spines at the bottom of the rad!.You wouldnt think plastic could do that to ally.One spine had gone through,and the others were almost through.I took it to a local radiator repair place,they put a thick band of resin along the bottom edge to cover the chaffed areas.That cost me

Took it in to Wrexham Radiators today. Bugger to find - seems bloody good bloke.

He said "what's it off?". I said a Sherco. He said "never erd of 'em". I said it's like a GasGas. He said "Oh right we've had a load of them in 'ere"

Well I thought it was mildly amusing anyway.

Before the GasGas crew try to lynch me, I know they're probably the same rads, maybe?

Must be just that you lot fall off more :D Doh! - I did it again.

Edited by bikespace

• 2 weeks later...