Kickstarter Binding

beta-boy

while i was riding this weekend there were two times where my kickstarter binded right at the top of the stroke and made a creaking sound like it was rubbing on something,and the kickstart wouldn't return, but when pushed back up it kicked through the whole stroke fine and returned back to the normal position

are the kickstart gears not aligned and binding or what could this be, i haven't opened it up to take a look yet cause i'de like a bit of advice to what i should be looking for

and also i know you can take the clutch cover off without draning your clutch or anti freeze cause i've seen it done on the trail, which bolts do you take off near the water pump, if any, to remove the clutch cover

thanks

Remove all the clutch cover bolts and the three water pump bolts, just pay attention to the size, because of three different lengths. The water pump is a sealed unit by itself.

Your correct that the KS gears don`t align very well. What you need to watch is the play in the KS itself. Also the KS shaft just rides in the casing and not on a bearing. With the amount of force needed to kick the 300 the case can fracture around the KS shaft.

alright, well i opened up the case yesterday

and i found that there was one complete tooth missing on my kickstart gear, and a couple teeth that were getting pretty small

obviously not a good thing, that would explain all the metal shavings when i drained the fluid first

so i have to change the gear, and hopefully thats the reason it was binding

i guess i have to pull my clutch out to get to the gear from the looks of it, is there any special tool i need to get the clutch out

or is there some way of changing out the gear without pulling the clutch apart

thanks

Not sure about the gear,

but the clutch...(we are talking about a pro right ?) is held in with one alan bolt, (special one dont lose it or change it, its got a hole in it)

And then the clutch basket should come loose, with a wiggle or some persuation with two small crowbars to wiggle it,

Good luck