Hello All, Help Me Choose A Bike!

andye

Hi everyone. I'm Andy.

Last time I rode in trials was about 1995, I had an Aprilia Climber - what a reliability nightmare that thing was. Parts were hard to get, and expensive.

I've had a break for the last ten years (Although I've wandered along to watch the odd trial near home, and have done quite a bit of trail riding on a Suzuki DRZ400) but I want to get back into trials again!

I don't want to spend mega bucks on a bike at first, in case I end up not using it much, so have a budget of around

Edited by AndyE

Hello Andy

If I was in your position I would go for a Montesa. I guess you would probably get a 98 or 99 one for around that sort of money. My 98 Mont was one of my best bikes, until some ****** nicked it. Possibly one of the last Beta Technos I think they went up to 99. I would steer clear of early Rev 3's though, the later ones are brilliant, but I didn't like the early ones. The Betas and the Monts are very well made bikes. Saying that the Gas Gas TXT range, before the Pro came out were pretty bullet proof. I would still go for the Mont though.

All of this is just my opinion and I am sure everybody elses will differ. If you can try and have a go on a few bikes that would be your best bet.

Glad to see you are getting back into trialing. I have done quite a lot of trail riding myself, but what with the NERC bill I can't see any legal future for it.

Good Luck anyway. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Dave

But Doogle i take it your riding a Mont now ?

Obviously you would say that like everyone else will probably say so on so's bikes best because they ride it...best thing to do Andy is Go out and try all different ones play about .

If you ask people to tell you what bike to ride they will just tell you to get what bike they ride..

ect i ride a Gas gas but it suites my riding style and i like them but i wouldnt say oh its the best bike for you. Get where im coming from?

Theres a lot of younger generation on here and they will say exactly what ive just mentioned ..kids do. So get ya self out to your nearest dealer and ask to test ride some bikes....

.. Or else this Thread might turn into a "my bikes better than your" ect..

Hope this helps :wall:

Cheers for the pointers so far guys. It's good to hear some comments. Of course I may end up choosing whichever bike I like the most, or the one which seems to be available in the best state for

Edited by AndyE

But Doogle i take it your riding a Mont now ?

Obviously you would say that like everyone else will probably say so on so's bikes best because they ride it...best thing to do Andy is Go out and try all different ones play about .

If you ask people to tell you what bike to ride they will just tell you to get what bike they ride..

ect i ride a Gas gas but it suites my riding style and i like them but i wouldnt say oh its the best bike for you. Get where im coming from?

Theres a lot of younger generation on here and they will say exactly what ive just mentioned ..kids do. So get ya self out to your nearest dealer and ask to test ride some bikes....

.. Or else this Thread might turn into a "my bikes better than your" ect..

Hope this helps :)

Yes you are right, I do ride a Mont, and before that I had a Beta, and before that I had a Gas Gas. As I said that is just my opinion, and go out and test ride some if you can.

MY BIKES BETTER THAN YOUR BIKE. MY DAD SAID SO! :D

As brian r says....try the dealers, for a test ride at least!!!.

All the modern bikes are good, but not necessarily for you! go to a dealer and ride them all and you WILL end up with a shortlist of 1 or 2 bikes that you feel comfortable on and that suit YOU and your stle of riding. Remember if you can that the bar position does make a big difference to the feel of the bike when riding it so if the dealer will let you, change it round a bit and try it again. Then go out and find one within your budget that is in good condition.

GOOD LUCK :)

Thanks very much for the input guys - are there any issues I should be aware of with regard to availability of parts?

Presumably anything from the biggest brands (Gas/Mont/Beta)will not cause me any problems with getting hold of spares!

Cheers!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been to buy my bike today.

Here it is, a 2001 GG TXT 280.

txt280.JPG

I need a few bits for it so I've got some shopping to do, but all being well I'll be at a trial on Sunday, possibly near Reading with Basingstoke MCC.

Cheers!!

Andy

Certainly looks clean on the outside!! The engine sounds good too.

I've been in the garage stripping it down since Top Gear finished though (about 3 hours) and there are a few jobs to be done:

Replace chain and sprockets

Replace Wheel bearings in both wheels

Replace Needle bearings in swingarm links

Replace nut and bolt between fuel tank and frame

Replace left side fork seal

I'm hoping to get the bearings in the morning (fingers crossed my local industrial place will have good quality bearings for the wheels and swingarm) and then I'll give everything else a quick clean up and wait for the fork seals to arrive by post. Also need to get hold of a helmet and some boots before Sunday....

Compared to the old Aprilia Climber 240 I had, which was a '91, this bike feels so much lighter. I can lift it up onto the workmate on my own, which I could never do with the Climber without giving myself a hernia! It also seems to have a lot less rolling resistance during a quick ride earlier, and requires a lot less effort to get the front wheel off the ground. Basically there aren't many things which are similar!!

One problem I have got though, is that the front brake disc is loose on some little floating bobbin type things. I presume a small degree of float is by design, but I suspect these bobbins are actually the wrong size since you can roll the bike forwards an inch with the front brake on - the disc is locked, but the hub still rolls for around 3-4 degrees.... I will investigate replacing the bobbin thingies since the disc looks fine.

Edited by AndyE