Helping Our Top Riders

no1

How about this.

If the acu said to all the centres that for three weekends a year that thay have to put on charity trials in aid of top world and european riders whether youth or adult, would you do it, lets say 3 weekends x 21 centres x 100 riders at

Probably not, and I'll step in and play devils advocate here. This is not a sob story on my part by the way, as I feel very lucky to live the life that i do, but ...

The majority of the people doing the sport are doing it for the pure enjoyment. For the most of us it's not a big money sport.

There's plenty of thing s our local clubs would like to do if they had the money, for instance buying a few acres of trials land might be a good cause, so that trials might actually exist in a few years when DEFRA strikes.

This is absolutely nothing against Wiggy, Ross, or even little Master Stay, but for those of us that drag a trailer with a couple of four year old bikes to a trial and park along side 30 foot RV's, then we don't always feel like slipping a brown envelope through the door.

Many other sports are the same, and for those that want success on a big scale, their families make massive sacrifices, remortgaging houses, loans whatever it takes to raise that last few pounds to make the trip.

I would love to be able to support at least one rider to the top, and I wish every rider luck in being able to do that, through one form of sponsorship or another.

You may find it hard to convince the majority of trials riders that they should be forced in to doing this sponsorship, and you're more likely to turn people against it on the way.

I may have missed it, but I've not seen Wiggy or Ross on here whinging that they're not being handed a free meal ticket. It's a low turnover sport you've chosen. That magical golden handshake is going to have to be fought for, and i believe that's what they're doing at the moment, without alienating too many people along the way.

Well OK, that's not devils advocate, that's what I believe the general trials community's view is, and I could well be wrong. It's open for discussion :)

What Bikespace said.

Dougie made it on his own. Dabill and Brownie have potential and are working hard at it. Wiggy and Ross are making inroads. I've seen the factory guys come to the press room and ask for Youth and Junior Championship results as well as World class so they're watching what's going on.

What Andy and Bikespace said and Ill take it further.

I'm heavily involved in Junior ice hockey, coaching at club, Scottish and GB levels, I'm also club Chairman of the local club. I've watched some of the most talented players around the country lose out on a potential professional career at the last minute because they could not afford a specific game or a specific training weekend or a trip abroad to a tournament. Parents have to dig deep, and like Bikespace said mortgage their souls to get their kids to that kind of level. Could I do more, not really all my budget is taken up with my costs, even coaches don't go free. Could our clubs and associations do more, maybe but don't forget that's already the parents' money that pays for the associations, our licenses and affiliations pay for the centres and ACU. There is no lottery funding because sports like Trials and Ice hockey cannot be 100% inclusive. How many sports do parents have to pay for their kids to represent their Country, bet the Kissballers don't.

What it all boils down to is someone who is lucky enough to be noticed, to have the talent and to get the support from a sponsor he or she makes it, others reach a level beyond which they will never progress. A kid Ive coached all the way up to GB level has been offered a scholarship in Canada next year but it'll still cost his parents

Edited by Slapshot 3

How about this.

If the acu said to all the centres that for three weekends a year that thay have to put on charity trials in aid of top world and european riders whether youth or adult, would you do it.

If they were in the calendar, I'd enter.

Have you also considered getting the land owners to also allow the trials without rent?

Enduro clubs manage to put on events of this nature to help send riders to the ISDE, so I can't see why trials clubs can't. Some also run training schools to raise funds, which I'd also be interested in.

No.1 , I think thats a great idea. :D

Bikespace, If I get you right, what you're effectively saying is if I cant have it then why should they! And the comment about the big RV's just reinforces that.

Even if you get to the big time, the top guys dont get much in the way of a salary. A footballer gets more in a week than they earn in a year! so if you think they gonna get rich forget it!

You yourself know a talented lad who has a very nice monty! now his parents cant get him round the world so who is going to get to see this talent? Are you happy that it just goes to waste? surely not!

Anyway, the idea isnt about getting individual success, its about TEAM UK kicking the ass of Johny foreigner! If some BRITISH kid gets a break on the world stage then thats good for the sport and good for Britain. At the weekend we had Dougie Twice,Wiggy twice,Sam Haslam and Michael Brown on the podium. It was a great feeling seeing so much british talent on the podium and the more we get up there the better in my opnion.

Its a good idea No,1. Just a shame its wasted on narrow minds! :)

IMHO ;)

And another point, I saw Dougie come out when the youths were practicing in the arena and spent some time offering advice and support. All free and well received and was great to see. Didnt ask a penny and done it for the youths of this country. If he can do it, then why cant we???

No.1 , I think thats a great idea. :D

Bikespace, If I get you right, what you're effectively saying is if I cant have it then why should they! And the comment about the big RV's just reinforces that.

blah blah blah ;)

Its a good idea No,1. Just a shame its wasted on narrow minds! :)

IMHO ;)

I think you've missed the point almost perfectly Ian :D

What I'm saying is, in my opinion it would cause negative feeling from a massive part of the trials community to enforce this.

If clubs and Centres want to put on trials for these lads, then I for one would ride them. But for the ACU to enforce this on the whole community I think would be absolutely wrong.

I think a narrow mind is one that can can only see things from one point of view - his own. I'm not skint, my little red box is lit up at the side there, my hands always in my pocket for charity, and I'm all for helping these talented lads when I get chance - not everybody is in the same boat - there's plenty of the trials communtiy doing it on a shoestring budget, and forcing them to pay for the top boys won't do their fan base any good at all.

I think you've missed the point almost perfectly Ian :)

What I'm saying is, in my opinion it would cause negative feeling from a massive part of the trials community to enforce this.

Thats the point I was making. Because it would cause a negative feeling from a big part of the trials community is the very thing I dont understand.

Also, Im not advocating that its forced on anyone. The ACU put the trials on . you have a choice whether you want to ride it or not. No one would be forced too!

Also, Im not advocating that its forced on anyone. The ACU put the trials on . you have a choice whether you want to ride it or not. No one would be forced too!

The original idea was a mandatory period of fund raising trials, so clubs that don't particularly agree would be restricted from running events. You try picking three weeks of the year where you're not going to seriously miff some large part of the community.

The ACU would be accused of abusing their power, or making clubs perform the role that the ACU should be performing - supporting our talented youth. I can almost hear you saying it :)

The ACU would be accused of abusing their power, or making clubs perform the role that the ACU should be performing - supporting our talented youth. I can almost hear you saying it :)

Damn right dude :D

btw, The midland centre enforces those stupid centre team events and stops anyone else from riding at the same time in the centre. Is that abusing power?

If clubs and Centres want to put on trials for these lads, then I for one would ride them. But for the ACU to enforce this on the whole community I think would be absolutely wrong.

I think the enforcement part, was that three week-ends a year were clear of any other trials competition, to ensure that the fund raising events had the best chance of being well suppported.

The last thing you'd want is to go to the trouble of putting the event together, for just a handful to enter.

By negative feeling, I assume that you mean resentment that the ACU's meddling at club level? Three trials per centre in a year would be a lot less than one each to worry about.

Please don't think that I'm ridiculing the idea. I'm putting over a point of view that I THINK might be the view of at least a section of the community. I may be wrong, and I'd expect some arguments to the contrary to be honest.

What you thinking? Make it three weekends fixed across the country, or allow centres to pick three weekends each?

What about the running of the events - tell clubs they must run an event every couple of years maybe, or leave it to volunteers?

Where would the money go? Clubs choose their local top riders, or pool the funds and the ACU dish it out?

Maybe just one weekend? But then you're profits are a third. You've still got to pay insurance for every rider, and I know we wouldn't get away without paying our landowners their

Edited by bikespace