Fantic Engine Rebuild

bilco

Hi,

Whats sort of noise is it . Grinding ? , knocking ? :P

Ive recently rebuilt one of the same so know a little about them.

I had a slight grinding noise on mine when i assembled it and found out is was due to excessive welding on the inside of the casing.

When you pull in the clutch , the push rod physically seperates the clutch plates and pushes the outside edge of the clutch further towards the inside of the casing.

If the problem only occurs when the clutch is pulled in then it could be one of the following

The plates are not sitting properly in the basket and as a result the bolts are not fully seated.

Is there any welding on the inside of the casing. If there is then perhaps this needs grinding down a little.

Perhaps the adjustment nut and bolt are out too much and are grinding on the inside of the casing.

Whats you thoughts on these ? <_<

Hi,

Whats sort of noise is it . Grinding ? , knocking ? :P

Ive recently rebuilt one of the same so know a little about them.

I had a slight grinding noise on mine when i assembled it and found out is was due to excessive welding on the inside of the casing.

When you pull in the clutch , the push rod physically seperates the clutch plates and pushes the outside edge of the clutch further towards the inside of the casing.

If the problem only occurs when the clutch is pulled in then it could be one of the following

The plates are not sitting properly in the basket and as a result the bolts are not fully seated.

Is there any welding on the inside of the casing. If there is then perhaps this needs grinding down a little.

Perhaps the adjustment nut and bolt are out too much and are grinding on the inside of the casing.

Whats you thoughts on these ?  <_<

hi.

yes it's a kind of tapping/knocking noise,its hard to explain but it goes abit like tap tap tap all the time the clutch is engaged all gear's select fine and run's without the noise when clutch is let out.

No weld on casing.

clutch plates look ok,although one of the screw's that hold the plate's in has broke off in it's collar but can still tighten up,thats not a new problem though it's been on and off like that for a long time.

thank's,

Bilco,

It still sounds to me as it is basket problem as its the only part that you are moving that could actually make this noise , short of taking load of the engine and allowing free play tapping.

Are you sure the washer on the back of thr basket is the correct one and not too thick and that the bolts holding the plates in are not to long?.

Look for scuffing inside the casing.

Drain the oil and remove the casing. Run the bike for a few seconds with no casing on and see if the noise is still there and let us know ( wont do any harm). <_<

Bilco,

It still sounds to me as it is basket problem as its the only part that you are moving that could actually make this noise , short of taking load of the engine and allowing free play tapping.

Are you sure the washer on the back of thr basket is the correct one and not too thick and that the bolts holding the plates in are not to long?.

Look for scuffing inside the casing.

Drain the oil and remove the casing. Run the bike for a few seconds with no casing on and see if the noise is still there and let us know ( wont do any harm).  <_<

hi.

there's 2 washer's that go on, 1 thick and 1 thin,i've been putting the thick 1 directly behind the basket and the thin 1 in betwwen the basket and the wheel where the plate's slot onto,im not sure if there in the correct,would that make much diffrence if there the wrong way around.

Before i done the strip down there was a faint noise starting now it's just alot louder.

cheers.

steve.

Bilco,

I think you have got them the right way around.

Try the casing off . Hopefully the noise will have gone. if it hasnt , you will be able to identify the area the noise is coming from for accurately. <_<

hi

thank's very much,ill have a play with thing's to see what's going on,ill let you know what i find,it probaly wont be for a week or 2 untill i get a chance to look at it.

cheer's.

happy ridding.