2002 Scorpa Sy Trials Bike - Value?

rlg

Just sold a 2000 Gas Gas 200 and am looking for a new ride. Run across a 2002 Scorpa SY that looks in really nice shape. What are the major differences between a 2002 and a new one. I know that the people in this group are Scorpa riders but in my area Shercos are very popular. The prices are similar but I like the idea of possibly adding a "long ride" kit in the future. TIA for any input.

Rick Graves

Rick,

I have owned a 2002, 2003 & 2004 SY250, in succession. Each year brought improvments, with the most of them being in the continued refinement of the engine and exhaust tuning. Each year seemed to rev out a little higher, with power being delivered across a wider range of RPM. With the later models, the lighter flywheel option also came into play. As you have determined, the LongRide kit makes a great option. With the easily variable ignition timing, flywheel weight options, fast/slow throttle, etc. you can pretty much set the Scorpa up to your riding preferences.

The 2002 SY-250 has an old style swing arm with a welded drop out. On 2003 and newer the swing arm is extruded. The 2004 had a different ignition and the 2006 has larger brakes. They haven't changed that much. A 2002 would be good. I have an 03 and like it very much.

Ciao

Doug Wilson

By the way I have DGShannon's 03.

Edited by dfwilson