Just Bought A 1995 Techno 250

grantmac

I'm an Enduro rider and I thought I'd pick up a bike for some cross training and exercise.

First off, the exercise part was right; my hands are pretty sore. I'm fortunately in a position to ride everyday.

I've got a few questions:

Currently running Motul 600 at 50:1, this sound about right?

Clutch drags and engages very sharp, any way around this?

Shifting is also pretty rough and neutral is very hard to find?

I'm thinking some fresh oil will probably cure the last two.

Also is 5PSI good for the tires?

So far I've only had a few minor offs, nothing too severe. The throttle really gets sensitive once I'm up in the revs.

Thanks,

Grant

Hi grantmac

Try PJ1 in the gearbox. worked great in my 97 techno, and I had the same problems a you. bled the clutch also and worked perfect after that and gear changes were very slick.You might also need to adjust the screw on the master cylinder to adjust the clutch bite. For the throttle check to see if you have a fast or slow throttle.. black is slow, white is fast.Get a slow one as its much easier to control the bike and isnt so aggressive.

Hi Grantmac,

I've got 2 1997 Technos and both had bad clutch drag.

Stripped down the clutch and found the 'arms' of the clutch cage had worn groves in them. This makes the clutch stick.

I carefully filed out the groves and both bikes are dramatically improved.

Downside is that there's increased noise (clutch rattle).

Hope this helps.

I am in Canada, so definately the other side of the pond. I ammended my profile with location.

I'm getting a bit more used to the clutch. Once it's warm it's not so bad, but there is still a little drag and the trans is rough to shift. I will track down some PJ1 and bleed the clutch. I've already adjusted the lever so I can use one finger. The bike has very low hours for the year so the clutch basket should be alright.

I have the black throttle so I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks,

Grant

I actually know Ken pretty well, he rode with my Dad for years!

The bike seems to be getting better then more I ride it. Once it's warm it really doesn't drag at all, the release is still very sharp and the trans is a little rough but I'm sure some fresh fluid will sort it out.

When I called Ken (He actually sold the bike to the previous owner 6 months back), he said to just get some bike specific oil and change it every 6 rides (I ride daily for an hour so it'll be monthly). The last owner only rode the bike 6 times and never changed the oil so it's time for sure.

I also might look at bleeding the clutch, but it is engaging at a decent length from the bars.

Speaking of bars: they seem really low with almost no sweep, does that sound about right? I'm about 6' tall with a long body, should I look for a higher set?

Thanks,

Grant

Hey Grant - I stock Renthal Trials bars in all heights - the stock ones are 5" rise - you may want to go to a 6" rise as you are fairly tall - I do sell quite a lot of the higher bars to riders all over Canada. - you can contact me direct via email - daverhodes@shaw.ca - the bars are also listed on my website.

I'm up at Spectical Lake which is just by the summit. I've been riding some of the awesome single track out by Burnt Bridge on my enduro but I'd like to learn where all the really good stuff is. I've also ridden at the old Quarry on my big bike as well, all the time thinking it would be awesome on the Beta.

Unfortunately I will be away for most of the summer startng next friday, but when I get back in August I will be hard-at trying to learn how to ride this thing :D

I am gonna ride it with the bars as is for now, but I may go taller once I get back in late summer. Is Renthal the bar to run? I've had really good luck with Pro-taper in the past.

Grant

Grant:

Sounds like you are just over the hill from me. I am at the South end of Shawnigan on the East side. We have had events right from my house in the past. I can ride right from my backyard all the way to either Olophant Lake or Spectacle(haven't figured how to get to Spectacle yet, but i know it's possible). When you get back from the summer, get a hold of me and you can come ride out my area.

I prefer and recommend Renthal bars for the trials bike. My personal favorite bend is the "Kuroyama" bend. Has more lift on the ends than the standard bend. Keep in touch if you have any questions. Also, our club, the ISTC has a few hundred acres to ride on the west side of the lake. You should join up and come check it out.

STeve

Will do Steve! I can get to your place from mine easy enough, there is a back way to Spectical Lake from the top of the mountain. I'd love to drop by your place for some hints and to check out what kind of obsticals you've got. It's all well and good to watch movies, but I really think seeing the techniques and getting pointers in real life is the best way to learn. Heck if your not busy tomrrow then email me at glider_pilot@msn.com and I'll drop by on the bike.

Grant