Pot Hunters

mr b

Does annoy me on my return to trials to see ex centre champions who have also won Nationals riding the clubman route. Now this "shouldnt " be a problem except that some of the organisers are now making the Clubman route tougher as the ex centre champions are finishing on 0,1,or 2 scores and tougher sections are required to seperate the winner??????? :D

Thats when it becomes stupid.

Suggestion: The winner of a Clubman class rides the "Expert" route for the rest of the season????? Wouldnt be a problem for them as they are obviously good enough but would ensure that the Clubman route is kept at the right level for the Wobblers who after all are the grass roots riders who have kept the sport alive so that the "stars" can have an event to "pot hunt" at  :D

Enjoy your ride tomorrow wherever it may be  :wacko:

Upgrading riders to the main route would be fine if the riders are young and/or improving.However, i suspect riders refered to are approaching 70 years old, and no matter how good they have been, its perhaps understandable that they want a less challenging ride. It does surprise me though that riders who only feel at ease with the easier sections during the year go on to ride premier events such as the pre 65 Scottish, surely more challenging than any of the pre club trial main routes?..

"Upgrading riders to the main route would be fine if the riders are young and/or improving.However, i suspect riders refered to are approaching 70 years old, and no matter how good they have been, its perhaps understandable that they want a less challenging ride. It does surprise me though that riders who only feel at ease with the easier sections during the year go on to ride premier events such as the pre 65 Scottish, surely more challenging than any of the pre club trial main routes?.."

Good point well made. Enjoyied Rhodesia today where you there? even allowing for the embarrasing moment with my handlebars an enjoyable day out.

Needed that drink at the end though :wacko:

Only downside, and to tell the truth i'm not sure why it bothered me,was discovering that one of the competitors, who is very good and has won trials in the past, riding the Clubmans easy route at what was lets face it a Pre 65 trial has disc brakes fitted inside disguised Triumph Tiger Cub hubs :D

Pot hunter? cheating? dont know but it just dont seem right somehow especially when some people were making comments about another competitors use of a Fantic tank on a Sprite and me using OSSA sliders NOT disguised inside Norton ones.

Funny old world innit :D

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I went- was my shortest trial ever, got a puncture after 3 sections, didn't try too hard to mend it either, it was a little warm....

reckon someones having you on about those brakes- if not, find out whose doing them, i'm interested!

Sorry to hear you got a flat. Must put a face to a name at the next trial :D

No it's true about the disc brakes. I wondered why there were holes drilled through and when he rode past i could see through and saw what looked like a disc but i thought i was seeing things. Then at the end i mentioned it to some of the other riders and they confirmed that he has discs fitted. He's apparently using the discs that are fitted to mountain bikes and they are operated by a conventional brake cable so at first glance you dont notice anything. I wouldnt have noticed if it wasnt for the holes drilled through the hubs and the fact that you couldnt see any brake shoes inside. :D

Still seems somehow wrong even if people excuse it because Cheetah experemented with them in the late 60's.

Whatever wether he has discs or not will not make ME a better rider and he would still beat me if he had conventional brakes.

Just thought it was appropriate to mention it as this thread was about "Pot hunting" and he does ride the Clubman route and he has got "illegal" brakes fitted.

Funny how the "names" can get away with things that the real "Clubman" cant??? Dave Thorpe riding a Mcdonald Cub at the Scottish Pre65. Arials with OiF frames but B40 OiF not allowed. Mikuni carbs ok on cubs but not on B40 the list is endless but they could ALL be viewed as "Pot hunting" :D

Oh well better shut up or i will be persona non grata at the next Trial :wacko:

Choosing a route at a trial is never easy, most of us want to test ourselves but at the same time enjoy our day out and be well enough to arrive at work the next day in order to earn enough money for the following event. Pot-hunters exist in every sport/past-time.

A similar principle can be applied to many riders, for example in the Scottish Six Day Trial, I have arrived a sections many of times only to see a dry and warm rider at the section in front of me and yet I know thay have not passed me on the road but they started after me. They have obviously been dropped off by white van man! Some riders will complete every inch of the trial and some will get more outside assistance than Michael Schumacher and still believe in their own minds they have genuinely finished the SSDT and earned their award.

We all want to improve and yet enjoy ourselves and be competitive whilst remaining uninjured so that we can still work and earn enough money to survive and have a bit spare for that next trial but common-sense has to prevail.

Some clubs are increasing the number of routes available, Macclesfield club now put on three routes with an extra option of a 50/50 middle to hard route giving an entrant four options which helps the rider pick an ideal route for his/her own riding ability. But at club trial level we have to remember that enjoyment is the name of the game, and whereas some riders want to take on every rock in every section their are many others who just want to wobble round without any threat of injury whilst enjoying a brew with their mates.

Eiger.