2003 280 Pro

bostit

Have just aquired a 2003 280 Pro, it was at a price I couldn't miss as I wouldn't normally have gone for a 280, I recon 250 is good enough for someone of my limited tallent.

It has a head spacer fitted but otherwise it's standard, given that it's come at the right price I can chuck a bit of money at it without being out of pocket, what other mods would you guys recomend?

I hear what you say about a 250 versus a 280 .I do think the 03 280 was a bit of an animal so if you can stretch(you did say you got it cheap!) to a flywheel kit you'll make the bike more user friendly...and..another big plus you'll get more 'mechanical' grip.OK? :thumbup:

i have a 05 280 pro, and i handle it alright,

It is my first modern bike and i am abit of a noob but i did have a couple of rubbish skips when i was 15 :thumbup:

my 280 doesnt have any mods and i've handled it quite well with time you just have to be careful with it....you control the beast at the end of the day !

Try riding it see if you can manage it if its ok.... cant knock it till you've tried it :thumbup:

suppose if you wanted to modify it....you could

-Add the weight as said by ham2..

-slow action throttle

-retard the ignition..can you do this on the pro's...only done it on old bikes

-head spacer..which you already have !

Hope that helps

Mat

i have a 05 280 pro, and i handle it alright,

It is my first modern bike and i am abit of a noob but i did have a couple of rubbish skips when i was 15 :thumbup:

my 280 doesnt have any mods and i've handled it quite well with time you just have to be careful with it....you control the beast at the end of the day !

Try riding it see if you can manage it if its ok.... cant knock it till you've tried it :wub:

suppose if you wanted to modify it....you could

-Add the weight as said by ham2..

-slow action throttle

-retard the ignition..can you do this on the pro's...only done it on old bikes

-head spacer..which you already have !

Hope that helps

I had an 03 280 and an 05 raga, and the 03 280 was definately the more ferocious of the two. I would recommend you put a 10t drive gear on the front, a larger sprocket on the rear, slow action throttle, carbon fibre exhaust protector to stop burning your leg and a larger master cylinder on the clutch for better "feel" and smoother control.

If possible though try and sell it for a profit and buy an 04 gasgas pro. The difference in the front suspension on the 04 with the new marzocchi shocks is unreal, better than anything you could buy and put on the 03.. unless you buy a pair of marzocchi shocks!!! :thumbup:

Mat

Does anyone have experience of the flywheel kits? that may suit my style of riding, I've got a slow action throttle I can try although I struggle on steps when I use them thats' why I was looking at other alternatives. Is the clutch master cylinder off a later model and is there anything else (other than forks) from later models I should put on it?