Front Sprocket Gaurd

fellonmelug

Now I did hear that a 4RT in the NE centre suffered a snapped chain last week.

Apparently the flailing chain broke through the back of the LH Engine casing, oil everywhere.

Didn't see it myself but I can that imagine if the chain bunched up there like it used to on my Sherco if you knocked it off, instead of bending the plastic flywheel cover, on a 4RT it could smash the aluminium casing.

Good quality chains dont bend sideways as much as cheap ones and so don't derail as easily and keeping the tension correct has lots of benefits. This protector from V-MAR click here could also help. Anyone tried one?

Edited by GII

|I would rather it hit that rubber guard than my cases.

I'd rather it never came off at all, but you never know>

I'v also seen a home bodge of stainless 90 degree plate, attached to the two bolts behind the sproket, extending round the front of it.

It's not rubber, it's aluminium, if it was that rubbery material that they make chain guides from, bonded to an ally plate then it might have been better as it would absorb some of the energy in the chain rather than just transmitting it, mind if it's a snug fit around the chain it might stop it bunching up in the first place.

I'm tempted just for that reason

Anyone got one and had a chain come off? How did it perform?

On a side note, I had 3 GasGas 320's and ran them all with O ring chains, don't ever recall knocking one off (or having to adjust it) Then 2 Shercos which because of the half link and lack of space I couldn't run an O Ring chain. Probably knocked the chain off half a dozen times a year. You can tie a knot in a standard chain after a few trials. Anyone fitted an O ring chain to a 4RT?

My riding buddy had it happen when a stump peeled the chain off the rear sprocket.

Chain wrapped itself between the mag case and sprocket. Mag. case lost.

Took out the electrical pick-up also. Barely caught the center case but was able to file it clean.

$750 later he was back in business.

As I remember Fuji had the same problem in an 05 WTC.

Maybe that's why they are running them this year.

The guard's one of those precautions that in the long run could be good insurance.

It's not that little plastic flap that's on the outside face of the sprocket like your 315.

This guard on the Lewisport link prevents the chain from doubling back on itself.

What can happen when the chain comes off the rear sprocket, two side by side links may try to fit between the area between the 4rt counter sprocket and the case cover.

Obviously there is not enough room, so they wedge in the gap damaging the cover.

It's not a pretty sight, I witnessed it first hand and had to dig the chain out and find all the case fragments to make sure they did not get in the engine somewhere.

By the way you can't pull the clutch fast enough if the chain decides to wedge itself.

One in a million chance? How lucky do you feel....

I think there is more room on a 315 engine to allow two links to pass.

My riding buddy had it happen when a stump peeled the chain off the rear sprocket.

Chain wrapped itself between the mag case and sprocket. Mag. case lost.

Took out the electrical pick-up also. Barely caught the center case but was able to file it clean.

$750 later he was back in business.

Had a chat with the poor soul in the NE Centre who snapped his chain and smashed the casing. Reckons it cost him around the

Edited by GII

Just ordered the V-Mar Chain guard.

Really helpful people, fully automated paypal shop, I sent an e-mail asking about delivery cost to the UK, instant reply boiled down to 'don't worry about it, it'll be close enough to the US rate - you'll get it in about a week'

If you want one click here