Runtime Error In Internet Explorer

bob

Hi,

As a last resort before i either give up, try a helpline or reinstall some software i thought somebody on here might be able to help.

The problem seems to be pretty simple but i haven't a clue why it is happening.

I am using windows media centre 2002 and basically if i try to open internet explorer whilst someone else is logged on a runtime error occurs before internet explorer even gets chance to open, log the other person off and everything is hunkydory again, it's getting on my nerves abit, especially with the computer being pretty new and it has been doing it from new.

Bob

I think a little more information is required. Is this a single computer or a Network?? what Operating system are you running? which version of Internet Explorer and have you tried Firefox or any othet browser??

I'd pretty much come to the conclusion to start using firefox a little while ago, just hadn't got round to downloading it. It is free right? I haven't been led into illegally downloading it because i know that talk like that just isn't allowed.

I'm guessing you can use firefox to view documents and stuff aswell then?

Anyway I'm gonna download it tonight.

If any of you have set up Fireox to use 'hotkeys' (i think thay are called you know like the home back forward buttons etc on your keyboard) it would be nice to know a little in advance how. I don't use them much but it would be nice to knnow how.

Bob

I think a little more information is required. Is this a single computer or a Network?? what Operating system are you running? which version of Internet Explorer

I'm using

Windows XP Media Centre i think it must be 2005

Internet Explorer 6

The problem occurs if you log on whilt someone else is also logged on to the same computer but only if they have internet explorer running at that time.

The error message says something along the lines of:

This program has terminated the runtime in an unusual way. Contact the program company for more information.

As regards networking it is connected to a BT wireless router in access point mode and is set to share printers and shared docs files with aoter computer also connected to the router but the oter one wirelessly.

I think I remember this happening before I disabled multiple login's on XP Pro. I don't think Internet Explorer has been coded to allow it to happen. What's probably happening is that some of the DLL's are locked by the other User and IE will not run while they are locked. I have to admit I have not tried Firefox in this mode but it is a better Browser.

Firefox works just fine with multiple concurrent user sessions. The problem with IE is that if one of the logged on user browser sessions expires, it doesn't flush its cache to disk until the next time that session becomes active or (and this is the crucial part), another user attempts to start IE in a different session. Because IE is quite tightly integrated with the host OS (Windows), it uses several "shared" components (DLLs) and it's possible that some of these are still in use in the other user's protected memory resulting in an access violation in the new session when IE attempts to access data in the "wrong" context.

IE 7.0 is much better than previous versions but Firefox is the way to go.

I have been running the IE7 and MediaPlayer11 beta's since they first arrived, and stepping through each of the updates. They are both great, but I guess I am most impressed with the changes to MediaPlayer. It pulled me back from the grips of iTunes.

Dont know if this is the same problem... but a about 12 months ago we had a simular problem on all platforms that we use (IE would crash out before it would finish loading (but not all the time)). It was traced down to a security update patch ( but I cant remember what patch it was ) but a quick and dirty solution was to set the home page to none. This the would allow IE to load and then work normally thereafter.