Beta Airfilter + Other Maintenance

fordson major

I know this is going to sound daft but I'm wanting to keep my Beta running sweet so I need some advice.

I've had my Beta 125 for 7months (from new) and I've regularly cleaned and oiled the air filter so it's still in more or less ok condition.

Didn't know whether I should get a new one though, or which type to get

(some claim to be 'high-performance')

Also, now it's 7 months old what other checks/changes should I be doing?

I'm going to change the gearbox oil for the 2nd time soon and change fork oil.

Replies appreciated

Rob :rolleyes:

Hi Rob,

I usually do the gear oil every fornight, maybe over the top but its quite important. Dont keep filters that long either just stick a new one in every month and clean it every ride. Fork oil should nt need doing to often unless they start feeling like they need refreshing. I Strip the bike down every ride as well, usually wheels out, shocker, carb air box plug ,throttle, levers footpegs and give them a good clean and grease up.

Hmmmm. I have 2 air filters that clean and alternate between rides. That way there's always a reasonably clean, newly oiled filter in there. I take the carb off and clean it after every ride and remove the flywheel cover after washing and leave it off for at least 24 hours to allow any moisture to escape as well as checking all of the bolts, bearings, pads and the chain. Maybe excessive but at least it's fewer things to worry about and really only takes 20 minutes or so after washing!

hmmmm all of this stripping down after every ride seems oober exsessive after each ride i basically clean my bike and dry it,oil footpegs chain etc.errrr aiming at doing the linkage bearings every 6 monmths change oil around every 3 rides.clutch plates when they go oil filter every errr 2-3 weeks.take wheels off every 2 weeks and clean them right up grease etc and also take off the chain and sprocket and clean them let air out of forks and this seems to make a humungous change to them.also please could you inform me on cleaning the carb i have only done it once but i dont think i did a very good job because well i didnt really clean it to be honest but please inform me on cleaning it maybe a step by step guide would be super helpful thanks chris

just clean filter oil chain and check any other things that may need doing, basically just go around the bike and check everything is ok and what does taking the air out of the front forks do to it and how do you do it?

Well the Baines plan is clean lube drain cover, but knowing me and my riding style there is usually a fist full of repairs too join that short list!!!! as i`m sure many of you have heard!!!!!

But my excuse is if I didnt break it now and replace it with new nice stuff who knows if it`d fail mid ride!! :rolleyes:

This is intended for Beta Rev3 owners.

If it hasn't been done since the bike was new, you should:

Dissassemble, clean and grease the steering head and swingarm bearings.

Remove the shock mounting bolts, clean the bolts and holes and reassemble with antisieze including the OD of the head of the lower bolt.

Remove the front vertical frame member screws and apply antisieze on their threads.

Remove, antisieze and refit the handlebar cross brace screws.

Periodically:

Check the rear axle nut is tight.

Check all the brake disc screws and sprocket bolts for tightness.

About the air filter

Replace it if it starts falling apart. Keep a new spare in a dark cool place (the fridge is good). Only clean the filter if it is dirty or the oil is getting dry or is contaminated with water. Air filters are damaged by UV light, heat, residual detergent, incorrect cleaning solvent and the mechanical effects of cleaning and reoiling.

coxy...to take the air out of your forks there is a little screw on the top of the forks on my gasgas although i don't know if there is on the beta's..it is just bleeding the air out of them, it kinda make sthem more bouncy and responsive it really helps.