Power Output

davidni

Sorry to bring up the topic again here but could anyone tell me what bhp a 2004 sherco 2.9 would be. I'm kinda half dissapointed here cause I was thinking the power output would have been higher seeing a cr85r scrambler is 25 bhp in only 85 cc!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why you're so obsessed with BHP, dude. It's really pretty irrelevant as far as trials bikes go (and pretty meaningless generally since there are so many variables and "IF"s and "BUT"s to consider). What's important in trials is torque and I guarantee you that a 250cc trials bike will out-torque a 250cc 'crosser any day of the week.

Put it this way: I'm heavy (17st) and my 250cc Beta scares me all the time. I used to own a 270 and in the wrong hands (ie, mine) that thing was potentially bloody lethal. A Sherco 290 has far, far more power and TORQUE than you'll be able to use effectively unless you're Albert Cabestany, I guarantee it.

Forget all these silly BHP comparisons and go ride a 270 Beta, 280 Gasser or 290 Sherco. THEN come back and say they're not powerful enough! Unless what you're really looking for is a field/play bike in which case you're probably better off with a 'crosser anyway.

"The Fast and the Furious" has a lot to answer for..... :thumbup:

David, as neon says bhp has just about nothing to do with trials bikes, what you need is torque, the 85cc crosser has more bhp because it revs high at the expense of torque. If you look at the crosser torque spec bet its got next to bugger all. There is a calculation of torque/bhp and rpm but cant remember it now, you cant have big bhp,big rpm and big torque without a massive engine. If you want something to bomb round the fields get a crosser not a trials bike. Its the same for Ducati's and Harleys, bugger all bhp and revs but bucket loads of torque, Jap bikes lots of rpm, lots of bhp but not as much torque, cant have it always

Horsepower and Torque are mesurements of an engines performance and are directly related

Hp is more relevant when the engine is rotating at high speed whilst torque is more relevant whilst the engine is at slow speeds

If you know the HP then you can work out the torque at any given rpm using this calculation.

Torque =

5,252 x hp

------------

Rpm

And if you know the torque then for the HP its :

Hp =

rpm x torque

---------------

p.s. The SI unit for torque is newton metres

:thumbup:

Hp =

rpm x torque

---------------

:beer:

But doesn't your equation work it out in lb-ft?

Can we cancel the two 5252's out then and say that at 5252 rpm horse power equals torque?

Don't seem right? Educate me :thumbup:

Hp =

rpm x torque

---------------

:beer:

But doesn't your equation work it out in lb-ft?

Can we cancel the two 5252's out then and say that at 5252 rpm horse power equals torque?

Don't seem right? Educate me :thumbup:

yes, the toque in this equation is calculated as ft-lb

The 5252 is a constant so yes, if you want to know HP at 5252 rpm then cancel them out .. But you knew that :hyper:

• 8 months later...

Ok its been a long time since i've been on here and I can now see that no-one obviously cares about the BHP of trials bikes for good reasoning. When I was getting a new bike back then I basically wanted a rating to compare the power of various bikes and BHP was the measurement I was familiar with. The reason I wanted this rating was because I thought what I needed was a much more powerful bike. Anyhow since then I bought a Sherco 290 rode it for a couple of months then sold it because I then figured it wasnt actually power that I needed. I then bought a 2000 beta techno 200 which has served me well ever since and has stacks of power for the type of riding I am used to. The beta seems much more smooth and far lighter than the old yamaha yet isnt overpowered like the sherco was for me.

i hope this helps,

i know nothing about trials bikes.... but i do know tractors. :D

my 1951 farmall (H) is only 18 horse-power, but can pull a two bottom 16'' plow. in hard ground.

i love flying low n' slow !! :beer:

weet

• 2 weeks later...