Dalesman Puch (or Wassell) Looking For Info

loydee

Hi there just bought a "Wassell" rolling chassis but seems more like a Dalesman.It has a very close almost parallel duplex frame with rails under the engine.It has Puch wheels.Looks like MP forks (with bolt-on 'ears' for lockstops). I have a Puch M125 engine for it.

My questions are: What's the difference between a Wassell and a Dalesman?

Where on the net can you find info on these bikes, can't find much at all.Any help is much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mine looks closest to this one:

Cheers Loydeepost-3071-1155463326.jpg

Dalesman made 125cc trials bikes from 1969 to about 1974. They started with Puch engines, first using four speed then six speed units, and switched to Sachs power about 1974. In that year they produced one with a front disc brake, when Peter Gaunt had a spell as a works rider for them - perhaps the first example of a disc-braked trials bike?

I had a 1972 six speed Puch engined bike. Nicely engineered but inevitably a bit unsuited to British trials where slogging power and finding grip are at a premium (or at least that was the case in trials of the time). At the time, Nick Jefferies was riding one and he gave me a tip to improve low-speed running, as the pilot jet was rather large and no smaller ones were available: plug the jet with Araldite and drill a smaller bore jet size in it!

The rims were chromed steel, and the forks on my bike turned out to be made by Sprite,. I found this out after prolonged discussion with the factory as the front spindle was a poor fit in the sliders. I think the factory just used whatever forks etc were most cost effective at the time, I know they did use MP forks as well.

As I remember, the Wassells came out around 1973 and used Sachs engines only. The bikes were very similar to Dalesmans in general appearance and frame design. The frame you describe could certainly be a Dalesman (sounds the same as mine).

There is a Dalesman article at http://vintage.bravepages.com/DALESMANTRIALS.html

I have some leaflets and catalogues from the time on Wassells and Dalesmans, could send you photocopies if you wish. My email is simonvalente@yahoo.co.uk

their are some nice dalesman pictures in the new YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE trials book "twenty years of twinshock trials".

Mod Edit: Details Here

Dalesman used hubs and forks made by Robin Humpheries called REH at one time.

I had a 1969 Dalesman Puch 125 with a 4 speed gearbox (ex- Ernie Page ISDT bike) It had a 20 inch front wheel with an REH conical hub, rear hub was Puch M125 both laced with Dunlop rims, rear chromed steel, front satinised steel. Frames were made by Jim Lee who made racing frames for Mick Grant. Pete Edmondston was the man driving the Dalesman business at the start and was financed by American money at one stage. I think it became Competition Developments later in it's history.

Big John

Was'nt Bill Brooker, ex comp shop manager for 'Greeves' involved in some way aswell ?

A BIG thanks to all who took the time to post info.Thanks to Simon "cleanorbust" who sent me loads of Dalesman/wassell/saracen etc leaflets my bike is definitely a Dalesman, now just got to nick the engine from the M125 fix the fork yoke, find a tank/seat (anyone?)and so on !An enjoyable project and hope to be competing on it in the next year.Of course if anyone would like any of the excellent info I now have they are welcome.Cheers Loydee

PS Yes Bill Brooker joined Dalesman as Joint MD in Spring 1971