Sparks Plugs

jetset

Can someone shed some light as to what the references actually mean on spark plugs. :banana2: I have got a Champion N7YCC in my Rev 3 currently but got a new spare plug which is a NGK BP5ES that I was going to put in at some point. What is best suited for the bike and is there a big difference between them, really?

Edited by Jetset

Probably many will disagree here but this is the story to the best of my knowledge. The letters vary depending on make except a R at the end means Resistor. If you are not running a radio this should not make a difference. The numbers do not vary from manufacture. They correspond with the heat of the plug. By heat, that only means how quickly the plug reaches operating temp, not how hot the plug runs. I believe a 5 reaches temp quicker than a 7. That is the difference.

Aaron

Edited by AMiller

Beta's come with a Champion plug in from new but JLI's sell the NGK ones. I've no idea what the numbers and letters mean on either of them. They both do the same job but I think the NGK ones last longer for some reason...

B= 14 x1.25 mm thread

P= Projected tip

R= Resistor Better stick with that for the new digital style ignitions

5= heat range Champions numbers are backwards to NGK's

E= 3/4" thread reach

S= standard tip

The standard NGK has always had a copper core. It dissapates heat faster and gives the plug a broader heat range. With some brands as soon as you get out of the operating range of the plug they foul or cause diasaster. Which is why I like NGK's. They seem to be more tolerant and forgiving.

And to get a little techi. the heat range refers to a plugs ability to disapate heat , not how fast it gets to temp ! Hence to cold a plug will foul easily and to hot a plug can turn a motor into a pinging meltdown waiting to happen !!!!

Glenn

I use the fine wire platinum/iridium etc stuff in any 2 cycle engines i have: lawn, saws, mc, etc. Last longer, start easier, less fouling. 3 to 5x the money, and I think well worth it.

The functional advantage is in the fire wire design-It takes less voltage to initiate the ionization and spark jump across the gap with a sharp small point than a wide flat or rounded surface.

The reason for the fancy metal is that the conventional nickel iron center wire would overheat and melt if made into a fine wire, not enough mass to dissipate the heat rapidly. (This local heat is a totally separate issue than the heat range of the tip and insulator)

The basic idea was known many decades ago. I saw a tip in literature written in the 20's about filing to a point to prevent oil fouling in auto engines of the model T era. The idea was there, just not have the materials to make it last until the last 20 years or so.

Freshly filed ground electrodes and sharp flat center electrode of conventional plug improves spark, same reasons. just not last so long until it rounds off.

I'd recommend trying them.

kcj