Hopping

How long did it take?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take you to learn to hop?

• Just got on the bike and it came natural like
    • Took about 6 months
    • About a year
    • Two years or more
    • Couldn't be a***d

It was very hard for me, so i spent time watching the world guys do it, i figured out that they really keep there back as vertical as possible while they are hopping. I was allways hunched over so it made hopping harderfor me, but when i straightened out my back it accualy made it easier for some reason. Maybe it will do the same for you. So i guess it took me about a 3 weeks of alot of practice just doing hops and nothing else to really get it down..

Getting the back around is easy, it's staying balanced when it lands that is the hard bit!!!

Work with the suspension, front or back. Slow down, and watch for the movement in the suspension. Once you realise this and get the timing right it is much easier.

Even with that, i can still go in one direction better than the other. I am right handed and can hop the rear accurately to the right, but not so well to the left.... several of my mates are left handed and can do the hop well to the left.... is this the same with you guys?

I used to be the same i could go to the right much better, but my mate is better at going left and always used to make sections that you had to hop left, now i can hop both ways.

Hi, I need help and tipps. I can just about get back wheel around, but having a lot of trouble with front.I can get it whilst practising very small and using clutch rather than back brake.The bike just rolls back.Even when I'm in shed trying, I can't seem to get my foot to stay down on the brake. I any thoughts.

Coldcake. I built an "H" frame to hold the front wheel and practiced hopping the back wheel using that. But that was bouncing the wheel at a standstill. In the real world you'd usually use a stoppie to move the back wheel around.

Heath, yeah everyone has a preference. Strangely as a right hander I find moving to the left easier.

Things I would like to know from those tyros who mastered hopping immediately are: a) Are you telling porkies? :guinness: How old are you (I'm on the wrong side of 40 so the bod doesn't learn all that quickly anymore. I also had a period of 2 years with no bike) and c) how much time did you practice?

Billy, coming from bike trials must be a huge benefit.

Pic taken last night (and I was worried that I wasn't getting the rear wheel high enough). That wasn't a "static" hop but a stoppie with about a meter run-up:

post-24-1197068913.jpg

Edited by TooFastTim

I am 17, could do it after about 20mins of getting used to a bike (for the first time out on one in 8 years).

The best tip is to make sure that your suspension is set up correctly. (The photo above has the perfect travel, try fiddling around with the rebound setting).

Compress your forks (vital part)

By bending knees and pull back, leaning slightly to the side you want to go

When pulling back slightly straighten your knees

(holding clutch and at least the bake brake, frount helps me but some mates dont need to)

Compress shocker with as much force as possible (till you gat the hang)

As you fell the shock spring moving back up grip with feet, lean to the desired side

And PUSH forward don

A key for me to hopping the back end is to turn the steering wheel in the correct direction. I used to think if you want to hop left, you turn towards the right and let the bike straighten out. This works on a bicycle, but on a motorcycle the back end will lift up but not over to the left. What works better to hop left is to start with the handlebars turned to the left. As the back end swings to the left, you start turning right.

It should be mentioned that there is a big difference between being able to 'hop' and being able to hop reliably and consistently in a section, such that you can place your front or rear tire EXACTLY where you want it, when you want it there, and keep your balance while resting, as you set up for your next hazard in the sectiion.. BIG difference... This comes with years of practice, before you can consistently apply hopping in a competition without putting your feet down, but you'll get there if you keep at it.

I've been trying on and off for the last 6 months or so. Don't get that much time on the bike so its not easy - usually only fiddling round after I've finished at a Trial. Now and then I can get the front to move where I want it but rarely can I balance afterwards. Can hardly lift the rear at all! Guess I'm a bit cautious about going over the bars! Daft thing is I can hop and skip and bounce no problem on almost any push bike - I've ridden cycle trials but like a bit of hopping!

Best example of hopping I've seen is on Ryan Youngs' Training video - he explains exactly how to do it and does it nice and slow and exaggerates everything so its easy to see. Still can't do it though!!!

I guess I'm in the minority too being 19 and unable to hop . . .