Taming The 4t

borus

Well Wayne, suffice it to say that if you are white and middle classed, you have two strikes against you. Thankfully, there is a bit based upon academics! But the pure logistics, from TX to FL are killer, SPRING? Yea that is just about the time I have to empty the dorm room, bring things back for Summer, then repeat in fall! Which currently includes her car, which is basically a two day trip each way. Just about $1000 each time I go down and back, and four days off work.

My outgo is quickly exceeding my income!

;)

Mqrk,

We were very fortunate, three of our children decided to go to college and for the most part paid their own way. The middle daughter moved to California right out of High School and became a resident, that allowed her to get her education fairly inexpensively, she worked and went to school and did get some student loans, she now has a family and two Masters degrees and lives within a mile of where we live. The youngest daughter received some athletic scholarships, attended a junior college, lived at home, worked and then finished up most of her classes from one of the state colleges at the local junior college, she did have to drive to some of the classes but she lived at home and that kept the cost down, she is now living in Oklahoma and working on her Masters. ( I think you know her) Our youngest son received basketball scholarships to the local junior college and then he went to a small school in Iowa, also on scholarship to get his BA. He moved back home and attended the U of I to earn his Masters, he was able to work in the athletic department which paid his tuition, he does have a student loan he has to pay off, however he is out on his own and has a full time job.

We have been very blessed in that we did not have to go into dept to pay for our kids education, that is one reason that I have been able to have so many toys.

Hang in there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Wayne

Mqrk,

We were very fortunate, three of our children decided to go to college and for the most part paid their own way. The middle daughter moved to California right out of High School and became a resident, that allowed her to get her education fairly inexpensively, she worked and went to school and did get some student loans, she now has a family and two Masters degrees and lives within a mile of where we live. The youngest daughter received some athletic scholarships, attended a junior college, lived at home, worked and then finished up most of her classes from one of the state colleges at the local junior college, she did have to drive to some of the classes but she lived at home and that kept the cost down, she is now living in Oklahoma and working on her Masters. ( I think you know her) Our youngest son received basketball scholarships to the local junior college and then he went to a small school in Iowa, also on scholarship to get his BA. He moved back home and attended the U of I to earn his Masters, he was able to work in the athletic department which paid his tuition, he does have a student loan he has to pay off, however he is out on his own and has a full time job.

We have been very blessed in that we did not have to go into dept to pay for our kids education, that is one reason that I have been able to have so many toys.

Wayne

I know Wayne's daughter, who lives in Oklahoma and will probably see her tomorrow night as we're having our NEOTT Trials club meeting at her place. You only have to talk with her for a few minutes to understand she is one of the nicest and brightest persons you will ever meet. Although I still can't understand how she puts up with me, it's obvious that her Dad has taught her what she needs to know to be a really neat person.

Wayne, ya done good.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I think all of the credit goes to her mother.

We will be in OK, the WE before your Octobertest, I will be at Langley with Ron, will have the 4T, come take it for a ride if you like.

Wayne

Great! I promise I won't make you ride my old TY this time (it's running MUCH better). I'd be very interested in riding your 4T as I only rode the first version that came out and they have undergone some major changes since then. My buddies in California have them and think they are wonderful! We'll be back from Germany on the 15th, so I'll see you after that when I come up to help set up.

Jon

Going off part #'s the cam is only other motor part I see different. Also the muffler is different. In the Sherco RP book they sell a low noise muffler for the 4t. It's an 05 muffler. My guess would be the stronger power comes mainly from the carb and muffler. To tame it down the 05 muffler would probably work good. Part #C657

Steve, does yours have an outer support bearing on the flywheel cover? For the crank/ I thought I seen something about a change there?

I thought the cam was part of the mod kit sent out on the early bikes? I thought that was just some mod of the decompressor system, yet I could be totally off here.

Maybe Ishy knows for sure? ;)

Copey;

I know where there are some brand new in the crate 05 4ts up here and I was hoping to buy a new motor and update it to an 08 spec and slip it into my bike. I knew the carb was different. I like the idea of the different exhaust. If there is another new cam that would be helpful too. Makes sense about the muffler though. Could be an easy conversion if that is it!

Steve

Steve - Testing the 05 and 08 side by side - the 08 ( as you already know) is much snappier, but I also noticed that the 08 runs way cooler - this could be because the 05 muffler may have a cat/converter installed. - We had to drill the exhaust in front of the muffler on the 05 to test with a gas analyzer.

One big improvement of the new frame is the ease of top end valve adjustment, as they have changed the position of the frame strut on the left side. It's the 09 model that has the extra crank bearing.

Wayne

What school did your son play basketball for in Iowa?

Mqrk,

Wayne

Steve - Testing the 05 and 08 side by side - the 08 ( as you already know) is much snappier, but I also noticed that the 08 runs way cooler - this could be because the 05 muffler may have a cat/converter installed. - We had to drill the exhaust in front of the muffler on the 05 to test with a gas analyzer.

One big improvement of the new frame is the ease of top end valve adjustment, as they have changed the position of the frame strut on the left side. It's the 09 model that has the extra crank bearing.

Wow Dave, what makes you think there is a cat? May be a Canada thing?