Clutch Engagement Range? Best Way?

dschigoda

I have an '02 GG 280 Edition. On the subject of clutch engagement range - I rode my buddies' '08 GG 280 last weekend and noticed his clutch engaged when the lever was almost all the way out, engaging over a very narrow range. My clutch is quite different, in that it begins to engage very close to the hand grips (just off my knuckels), then gradually engages for a much larger "sweep" of the lever outward.

Is there any advantages to either set up? I ride Advanced Class, age 54, no aspirations for moving up to Expert/Champ class.

Thanks.

Advanced riders can prefer a fast clutch for doing things like splatters. Novices are usually better off with a slower clutch lockup to help aid control. The enguagement point can be adjusted in or out to suit you preference. How agresive or fast the clutch comes in can be altered with springs and fluids. For instance, the Pro clutch will be quicker using ATF-F rather than somthing with more lubricity like tranny oil or transfer case fluid.

Please can someone explain how i can adjust my clutch, it hit my knuckles before the clutch fully disengages so when i want to stop i have to use 4 fingers instead of 2 that i usually use. i dont mind thye long range of the cltuch from dis engaging to engaging but its a pain in the ar*e when it keeps hitting your knuckles???

Lossen the nut on the bolt that pushes on the cylinder on the lever. There should be an allen key hole on the end of the bolt, turn it counter clockwise I believe and that should bring the friction point farther away from your fingers.

You need to start pushing the piston in the master cylinder sooner to get it to disengae/engage sooner..always leave a little bit of "free play" twixt the two else you might get problems or is that issues nowadays?