Sherco 125 Academy Rear Suspension Shock

manwithtool

The '05 shock will fit later models as long as you use the earlier wishbone link...the later wishbone has the 3 bolt holes closer together.

I am sure I tried to fit my old 04 shock to my 07 just out of interest to see if it would fit and I'm sure it would n't fit because the spring is in a different position on the early shock and will not clear the newer swinging arm.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I temporarily put in a '05 shock in my '07 and it would not hook up to the '07 wishbone...so I had to use the '05 wishbone link and it fits right in....with that, no clearance issues at all.

Seems when they went to the adjustable shock they changed the wishbone (for '07 and later). So a newer Olle adjustable shock in a '06 or earlier will likely require the newer wishbone link as well to keep everything equal.

Note....the "wishbone link" is the steel piece that ties in the shock, swingarm and dog bones into one unit.

From memory my bike has a 06 linkage fitted after the original got damaged, the hole positions are quite a lot different with there only just being enough clearance around the swingarm mounting. It changed the behaviour of the back end nicely.

The trp shocks are listed as fitting up to 08 so possibly there isn't much difference in length with the linkages keeping things equal

Do all the later bikes run with the shaft mounted at the bottom?

From memory my bike has a 06 linkage fitted after the original got damaged, the hole positions are quite a lot different with there only just being enough clearance around the swingarm mounting. It changed the behaviour of the back end nicely.

The trp shocks are listed as fitting up to 08 so possibly there isn't much difference in length with the linkages keeping things equal

Do all the later bikes run with the shaft mounted at the bottom?

Yes they do.

Getting back to original post, if the spring is sagged, then get a spring if the dampening is ok, as that is the critical part.

is this the same ohlins as gasgas uses? i can buy a gasgas ohlins cheap so i wonder if it will fit my sherco?

anyone knows?

regards bob

No , but there is a possibility it could be modded by the factory, yet at what cost?

Seems the shock lengthe are off by 10mm or so between '05 and '06 up, along with potential kinkage issues.

Edited by copemech

Can't be loss of gas, it's held separate to the oil by a piston & is only there keep the oil from aerating & affecting the damping

I came across a link on here that shows how to rebuild these shocks which may help you understand what I mean

Can't be loss of gas, it's held separate to the oil by a piston & is only there keep the oil from aerating & affecting the damping

I came across a link on here that shows how to rebuild these shocks which may help you understand what I mean

The gas pressure does indeed have an effect upon compression and may be noticeable best I can figure.

Well I fitted the shock of a 2005 125 to the 2008 bike and although it ws perhaps 5-10mm shorter it seems to work fine. Not very "bouncy" but I was told the older shocks had more damping while newer bikes were more bouncy.

All seems to work fine, although we are off for a practice this weekend to see what it's like when used in anger. Fingers crossed !

By the way this shock is a Sachs.

Any comments welcome.

Quick update, the 2005 sachs shock I fitted seems to work fine. My son even commented he was getting more grip, could be the old one was more knackered than I realsised !

Speaking to other club members it seems it's a comman fault caused by the shock having the piston exposed to dirt at the bottom of the shock. You can apparantly turn it upside down and keep the shiny piston/stanchion part behind the air box and out of the dirt.

Love to get peopls commetns on that one !

Quick update, the 2005 sachs shock I fitted seems to work fine. My son even commented he was getting more grip, could be the old one was more knackered than I realsised !

Speaking to other club members it seems it's a comman fault caused by the shock having the piston exposed to dirt at the bottom of the shock. You can apparantly turn it upside down and keep the shiny piston/stanchion part behind the air box and out of the dirt.

Love to get peopls commetns on that one !

Best I recall on my '07 the shocker will not fit in a shaft up position due to clearances on the ends. Doubt the '08 is much different.