Column No 201 - Pre 65 Scottish Ride Spiked

Andy

Heisenburg uncurtancy principle here! What I would expect to see in that P65 class would be a bike with a motor of the age, what's inside is of no matter. Needs to have two shocks(if luck) and drum brakes.

Let them play! Encoruage the sport, and be done with it! The best rider will still likely take it!

Pee on the unneccessary squabble of limits and rules whish is a put off for the players and potential players. Let them ride! Have some fun! and Get over it all! :rolleyes:

Heisenburg uncurtancy principle here! What I would expect to see in that P65 class would be a bike with a motor of the age, what's inside is of no matter. Needs to have two shocks(if luck) and drum brakes.

Let them play! Encoruage the sport, and be done with it! The best rider will still likely take it!

Pee on the unneccessary squabble of limits and rules whish is a put off for the players and potential players. Let them ride! Have some fun! and Get over it all! :rolleyes:

Your never going to get this debate right.

Even an engine of the correct age is open to interpretation. I was preparing a bike for the TT one year when I noticed some odd looking engine cases in the workshop of a well known tuning company.

They were for a Classic road racing machine which was to be used at the Manx GP later in the year.

I asked what was being done to them, the engineer told me that they were reproductions but made by CNC machines, the originals had been measured and the centres of the bearings were slightly out. Apparently every one ever made was like that, remaking the cases to a closer tolerance meant that revs could be used that were never possible from the original item.

They'd made a 1960's engine using brand new (90's at the time) measuring, materials and manufacturing processes. Tolerances that engineers of the past could only wish for.

Once painted and in the bike, it would be impossible to tell.

With hindsight the issue of development is always going to take pre 65, twin shock and in time air cooled mono to the same place.

in modern trials you buy what you want to buy and ride it. If you dont win it was your choice of machine so you may by something else next year.

In pre 65 , twin shock etc if you dont win the other guys a cheat for modifying his bike ? Or is bike isnt eligible to put it less directly. Half the skill in trials is being able to tailor your bike to your style of riding so development will never stop.

You can have trials for bikes based on bikes produced before 1965, you can never have trials for bikes as produced before 1965 and why on earth would you want to ? you cant even buy the tyres they used back then never mind the rest of the stuff. The whole thing is barking mad. Heard somebody I know has spent

As for the Pre 65 Scottish for me its simple. More people want to ride than can be accomodated, some add more to the event than others, some bikes add more to the event than others. The organisers decide as they are prepared to mark it out.

THE END !

Well said...Hooray!

THE END!

Big John

Your never going to get this debate right.

Even an engine of the correct age is open to interpretation. I was preparing a bike for the TT one year when I noticed some odd looking engine cases in the workshop of a well known tuning company.

They were for a Classic road racing machine which was to be used at the Manx GP later in the year.

I asked what was being done to them, the engineer told me that they were reproductions but made by CNC machines, the originals had been measured and the centres of the bearings were slightly out. Apparently every one ever made was like that, remaking the cases to a closer tolerance meant that revs could be used that were never possible from the original item.

They'd made a 1960's engine using brand new (90's at the time) measuring, materials and manufacturing processes. Tolerances that engineers of the past could only wish for.

Once painted and in the bike, it would be impossible to tell.

In the case of trials, woulda billet engine case that revved higher make a difference? Doubt it! Let 'um ride! :rolleyes: