2010 running lean

toofasttim

Just received my barely used 2010 250. Most of the time no probs, but occasionally it'll suddenly run lean. Yesterday it seemed to suck the bowl dry. Is this anything to do with the petrol pump? Have any of you guys have experienced the same?

*edit* just noticed a kink in the fuel tank breather pipe. It's probably that.

Edited by TooFastTim

Just received my barely used 2010 250. Most of the time no probs, but occasionally it'll suddenly run lean. Yesterday it seemed to suck the bowl dry. Is this anything to do with the petrol pump? Have any of you guys have experienced the same?

Congratulations on the purchase.

If the kink isn't the problem, check to see if the tip of the breather hose is clogged with mud.

Also, running the throttle wide open for long periods of time (like on highways) can suck fuel faster than the pump can supply it.

Oh God, now I got you to deal with on these! Well there you go matey, but I still think I would break the carb over a collection bowl to see what comes out. Nothing like a fresh start!

Am a bit jealous BTW, like that bike and want one, maybe later, let us know how you get on with it!

I would break the carb over a collection bowl to see what comes out. Nothing like a fresh start!

I should do that but I'm seriously tempted by one of these:

Cuba-transparente-Carb-Dell.jpg

Am a bit jealous BTW, like that bike and want one, maybe later, let us know how you get on with it!

Will do Copey.

I had a fair bit of trouble like that.I think most of it was down to the routing of the breather pipe. When you put the rear mudgard on check it doesn't crush the pipe.

I swopped the breather pipe for a smaller diameter clear rigid pipe.

I've got 1 of those on my oko, great for seeing if water has gotten in there.

Got told june last year that knocking around 200mm off end of breather fixes the kinking & clogging problems, seems thats how far the mud travels down the hose & with the shorter hose the exit is away from the crap

Seems the kink was the problem. No recurrance (yet).

Richard (I assume Timp = Richard Timperley) not much chance of nipping the breather with the 'guard. Theres' plenty of room under there. Unless you're an idiot.

Tony, that's a good idea.

re the clear bowls:

I seem to recall sometime back that there was some issue with them, yet I cannot recall.

Put me off them at the time though.

Could have been the added material thickness causing an interferance with the enging cases.

May have been fron Neo's works, let's see if he chimes in on this. :rolleyes:

From memory the oko came a bit close to the cases on 1 of his carbs-possibly on the 125, he warned not to file the part that looked like a nut as the bowl is fairly thin there. Not a problem on my 290 as I have a different manifold

Seems the kink was the problem. No recurrance (yet).

Richard (I assume Timp = Richard Timperley) not much chance of nipping the breather with the 'guard. Theres' plenty of room under there. Unless you're an idiot.

Timp is not Richard, it is Mark.

The problem is that even though there is room under the mudguard it can be trapped if the mudguard is not carefully put on. It is largely down to the one way valve in the pipe stopping it having a smooth curve. Best to cut off as mentioned about 20cm so it runs down the side of the shocker then it wont get any muck in it. It does make them run a bit weak if there is a kink in the pipe and I have seen it stop the bike completely.