Is a sprite Pre65?

monty_jon

With you on that one the Sprite is definately more Pre65 than a lot of the bikes entered and most definately in the spirit as is the AJS 37A, which was also pretty orrible in it's day. As for the Bultaco issue i agree but i did remember seeing a Montesa the other year. OK it was a Spanish rider and i understand that for financial reasons they would let the Spanish enter but if a Montesa why not a Bultaco? Not sure but i think the may have changed the wording now to read British as i havent seen an entry on this years list.

Just me being pedantic plus the Scottish organisers get so all high and mighty about eligability for some and not others that i think they deserve a poke every now and then. That doesnt mean i dont appreciate all the hard work and time they put in before William Wallaces mob come charging down south to get me just that they do set themselves up for it sometimes.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Sprite TRIALS bikes are Pre65 as in commercially available before 1 jan 1965 but they sure as hell should be and i'm glad they are in the scottish at least for a bit of variety.

In as much as they appeared to be modified road bikes (big tanks, big hubs, real seats on real rear loops and not really too handy looking) I thought the Montesas were well within the spirit of the event, more so than lots of nominally British bikes.

Let's not forget that continentals, like us, were riding trials long before 1965 and creating bikes in exactly the same way we were (ie by tweeking road bikes) possibly more so as they may well not have had such a large comp industry as we did from the Fifties on, as well as using pukka European produced trials bikes.

• Like 1

as i always say year upon year! there is only one winner of the pre65 scottish and that is clive dopson!

to take a 500t rigid around is some feat and is probably the most pre65 bike you can get!

try riding round with clive! the number of stops because of punctures is unbelievable.

well actually its not really! :blink:

as i always say year upon year! there is only one winner of the pre65 scottish and that is clive dopson!

to take a 500t rigid around is some feat and is probably the most pre65 bike you can get!

try riding round with clive! the number of stops because of punctures is unbelievable.

Agreed, and he has some very good rides to.

Never ridden around with him but did end up at one point riding a few sections a bike or two apart and that Norton does look hard work. Sooner him than me.

Bit like when Mick rode the Douglas. How he got that round i will never know. Talking to him he's not sure either LOL.

Edited by Old trials fanatic
  • Dislike 1

In as much as they appeared to be modified road bikes (big tanks, big hubs, real seats on real rear loops and not really too handy looking) I thought the Montesas were well within the spirit of the event, more so than lots of nominally British bikes.

Let's not forget that continentals, like us, were riding trials long before 1965 and creating bikes in exactly the same way we were (ie by tweeking road bikes) possibly more so as they may well not have had such a large comp industry as we did from the Fifties on, as well as using pukka European produced trials bikes.

Your comment about modified road bikes (big tanks, big hubs, real seats on real rear loops and not really too handy looking) would also apply to most British trials bikes GOV132 excepted that were riding around Pre65.

The Montesa i saw competing looked incredably similar to an early 247 Cota as quite a few commented. Sounded very sorted too. Thing was, i've no idea either, who actually knows exactly what a pre65 Montesa should look like. At least we have photographic evidence of the Bultacos that were competing in the UK Pre65. Then again how many Arials competing today look how they did in 1964 ?? Not many.

Sorry about my earlier comment about the word British being included in the regs i was obviously mistaken.

• Dislike 1

Your comment about modified road bikes (big tanks, big hubs, real seats on real rear loops and not really too handy looking) would also apply to most British trials bikes GOV132 excepted that were riding around Pre65."

That's basically what I said in para 2.

• Like 1

I met up yesterday at Wrightys show with a guy I knew in the 60's who used to ride a Sprite in Midland centre trials. he told me that he bought it second hand from Vale Onslows in Birmingham during the Easter of 1965, and was first registered in 1964.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hope this will be of intrest to SPRITE owners.Found this advert in old copy of Motor Cycle News dated Wednesday November 18 1964 proof they were for sale before 1965.Have also posted photo of my Sprite first registered in 1965 frame number is 161 http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/trialrider/

Edited by trialrider

Hi Guy's

Hi E-Steve.

Taking a look at the photo of the Orang'ed tank'ed Sprite???.

Just proves what you can get away with in that Scottish trial.

For I think the frame is not a Sprite! It could be a converted CoTTon, or something else that is made up!! Well if you look, the steering head is wrong, Not Sprite, more like a CoTTon 1967 frame, and there are no seat brace tubes, Not CoTTon, and not Sprite untill 1967+, so you see everything you think that was 1965? was not. well this must be a first for that trial???? :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Regards Charlie,

PS, Had a tip from a guy who owned a Sprite the other day, he said the clutch used to keep coming off the taper? So he lapped the shaft and center, with grinding paste, Them put the clutch center into his mothers oven at Max, for 15 minuetes placed it onto the shaft, and banged the nut on tight!!! it never ever came loose again!!! :thumbup: