Montesa 330 Swing Arm Woes

hughesy

I was about to start a 330 restoration shortly having bought the bike a couple of years ago. I knew that the Swing Arm bearings were shot when I bought it but on closer inspection I can now see that the chain has eaten it's way through the underneath of the swing arm at the pivot/ bearing area. There was no rubber fitted and the manual doesn't show one that I can find.

Where might a find a replacement or can anyone recommend an engineering workshop that could repair bearing in mind that the swing arm is aluminium. Does the 242 swing arm fit?

Also found the fork casting around fork pinch bolt had been glued back in place and fell off when I prodded it! The other leg has had the torque arm mount welded back on, not a great start is it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Hughesy

Yes they can be welded by a competent welder (don't let just anybody near it)

BUT the heat generation from alloy welding is incredible and it will distort the whole swingarm if the welder isn't careful. The arms can spread, widening the gap at the wheel spindle end.

Same with the forklegs, can be welded and repaired.

I've seen repairs to all these by someone who knew what they were doing and you'd never know they were damaged.

Not wanting to go off on a tangent here but it is getting harder to get a lot of this sort of work done, and a lot of it is being done by blokes either semi retired or close to it. No one to take their place. Was trying to help Pitley get a rebore, can't get it on our door step. What the future holds for these older bikes is frightening. Sorry I had to have a whinge there..... :angry:

Cheers for the input Guys, just asked for my own piece of mind before I start ordering all the bits I need that it is a viable proposition, I'll strip the top of the motor for reassurance too I think, Mains seem ok from Flywheel Up/down but there is noticable backlash when rotating, hoping this will be small end.

I've experienced first hand the difference between a competent welder and someone who claims to be able to weld, trouble is the only bloke I know that is competent is 300+ miles down the road!

Thanks again