Going To Look At 09 Beta Evo 290 Tomorrow, Please Help!

fur_pig

That is a good price.

Some experts are easy on bikes and some are brutal bike wreckers..... as a few questions.

The 2009 was the first year of the Evo and they had problems with the rear wheel bearings dieing because they had reduced diameter to save weight. The next year they went back to the large'ns, so expect to replace them.

Check the fork leg (uppers) for rock damage.

The 09 & 10 Evo came out with way too soft rear (not sure of front) springs and most guys went for a heavier spring. If it hasn't got one already, budget for a fresh heavier rear spring.

There were a couple of minor first year issues with a few (only a few) frames, but the factory covered these under warrantee.

Ralphy

That is a good price.

Some experts are easy on bikes and some are brutal bike wreckers..... as a few questions.

The 2009 was the first year of the Evo and they had problems with the rear wheel bearings dieing because they had reduced diameter to save weight. The next year they went back to the large'ns, so expect to replace them.

Check the fork leg (uppers) for rock damage.

The 09 & 10 Evo came out with way too soft rear (not sure of front) springs and most guys went for a heavier spring. If it hasn't got one already, budget for a fresh heavier rear spring.

There were a couple of minor first year issues with a few (only a few) frames, but the factory covered these under warrantee.

Ralphy

Ralphy,

You're the man, thanks for the info!

yeah, swing arms are vunerable on these, look underneath near the pivot bolt for signs of cracking.

Thanks guys, I will definitely check it out for cracking. I can tig weld it back together if needed but the guy said he was aware of the frame/swingarm cracking problems and doesn't have any on this bike. He did say the upper motor mount has come loose several times but I'm sure some red loctite can fix that.

We got 6" of snow/ice last night so I may not see the bike until tomorrow. :(

There were actually quite a few '09s that had the frames replaced under warranty. You might want to check with American Beta as to the policy on the older bikes. The EVO frames are made by Beta and not Verlicchi who made the Zero and Rev3 aluminum frames so it took about 6 months for them to get it right. Same as the original '00 Zero frame. If you have a newer frame, which I believe they beefed up the gusseting in the head area, then no problem.

Thanks guys, I will definitely check it out for cracking. I can tig weld it back together if needed but the guy said he was aware of the frame/swingarm cracking problems and doesn't have any on this bike. He did say the upper motor mount has come loose several times but I'm sure some red loctite can fix that.

We got 6" of snow/ice last night so I may not see the bike until tomorrow. :(

The frame/gas tank where the upper motor mount bolts up is where the frame cracks. check it very closely. It will start leaking fuel when it gets bad enough.You may have to take the motor mount off to get a better look.

The frame/gas tank where the upper motor mount bolts up is where the frame cracks. check it very closely. It will start leaking fuel when it gets bad enough.You may have to take the motor mount off to get a better look.

Hey guys,

I didn't see any cracks at the motor mount area but the swingarm did have a crack right in the weld near the linkage. It will be a simple job to re tig weld back together and the seller didn't even know it was there.

Edited by fur_pig

If he takes it to his dealer i bet Beta will warrenty it. You would be better off with the newer replacement design. You will get a better side stand mount with the new swingarm too.

Edited by Liviob

If he takes it to his dealer i bet Beta will warrenty it. You would be better off with the newer replacement design. You will get a better side stand mount with the new swingarm too.

Think you're right! My local dealer is working on hooking me up with a replacement swingarm. Here is the crack:

IMG_5935.jpg

If the gas cap is mounted left of center and you case a landing hard enough yes!

I looked at your photos and noticed that you have the gas cap centered.

This frame is a second generation frame. Doubtfull you will crack it.

Edited by Liviob