Should I Get Bar Risers For My 2.9?

bigmark1972

Hey guys!

I just got a super nice 2004 Sherco 2.9 from a very nice older gentlemen

about 3 hours out of Grand Rapids where I live.

I've ridden all my life but have not ridden in about 15 years since I had

a really bad moto X accident that almost left me paralyzed.

I've really been missing riding and am hoping trials will be a way

for me to get back on a bike again without too much risk of breaking my neck.

At 41 I am hoping to get in before I am too old to enjoy it.

Anyway I will get to the point.

I got the bike home tonight and took if for about a 15 minute ride.

The first thing that struck me is that it felt very awkward and uncomfortable, like

I could not find a comfortable stance.

I rolled the throttle open a few times and it feels like it wants to pull me off the bike

and put me on my back. This is a pretty creepy feeling for sure...

I'm a bigger guy I workout a lot and am 6'4" tall and 275lbs.

Question is...

Would bar risers help open the bike up a bit for me?

I have pretty long arms and I feel cramped on the bike.

I am wondering if this is something commonly done and if so where can I grab some?

Is there anything else I could/should do?

Thanks!

Edited by bigmark1972

Oh man, you are a basketcase! So you thought you remembered how to ride, huh?

Your story is a lot like mine if you set all back another 15 years, you have a lot to re-learn, so adjust!

You are a big boy, and that has its advantages and disadvantages, you are not the only one! I am not, though.

You will love trials bikes, but trials is like golf, and frustrating. Add the fact that the bike will put you on your butt quickly, you need time on the bike to adjust, drop your body, keep keees out and bent slightly, along with elbows. do not hug the frame with your feet, let the bike move under you, and stay centered! Relax your death grip, use peg pressure to turn the bike and lean it proper direction. Stay centered!

Bars should be vertical or a bit forward to give you some room on the bike. With a crossbar, I like to be able to put an allen wrench on the front mount hole and bring the crossbar back to touch it, you can go a bit more forward if you like, but that is a decent start.

The top clamp on that year sherco is made with the lower bar mount cast in, so risers are not common. The standard Sherco bar is a 5" rise, but 6" rise are out there, and may work for you. We shall see if there are any local, but for now, ride, ride , slow turns, figure 8's , learn clutch control(your bailout tool), ride!

There is your first putting lesson!

Edited by copemech

Thanks for the reply.

My crash was 15 years ago but a simple snap of the throttle brought it all back.

Tomorrow is another day and I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with the bike.

Will definitely keep it slow, I've watched some of Ryan Youngs starter vids on

Youtube have a full day of learning planned for tomorrow.

Will go for as long as my back holds out ;)

I should add... yes I thought I remembered how to ride..

It's funny to me it seems just like a week ago I was riding my last race.... but someone forgot to tell my body.

I was pretty shocked at how foreign it felt to be on a bike again.

Tomorrow will be telling.

Oh man, you are a basketcase! So you thought you remembered how to ride, huh?

Your story is a lot like mine if you set all back another 15 years, you have a lot to re-learn, so adjust!

You are a big boy, and that has its advantages and disadvantages, you are not the only one! I am not, though.

You will love trials bikes, but trials is like golf, and frustrating. Add the fact that the bike will put you on your butt quickly, you need time on the bike to adjust, drop your body, keep keees out and bent slightly, along with elbows. do not hug the frame with your feet, let the bike move under you, and stay centered! Relax your death grip, use peg pressure to turn the bike and lean it proper direction. Stay centered!

Bars should be vertical or a bit forward to give you some room on the bike. With a crossbar, I like to be able to put an allen wrench on the front mount hole and bring the crossbar back to touch it, you can go a bit more forward if you like, but that is a decent start.

The top clamp on that year sherco is made with the lower bar mount cast in, so risers are not common. The standard Sherco bar is a 5" rise, but 6" rise are out there, and may work for you. We shall see if there are any local, but for now, ride, ride , slow turns, figure 8's , learn clutch control(your bailout tool), ride!

There is your first putting lesson!

This covers it pretty much. Trials is very physical, it will take time to get bike fit.

At 6' 4" bar risers would definitely be a good thing for you.

I believe that Sherco uses angled bar clamps. Regular risers will raise the bars but also move them closer to your body. There is another style that uses your existing clamps but allow you to rotate the risers forward to regain the lost space between the bars and your body. Check out this link.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/search?term=BAR+RISERS

After being off a bike for almost 30 years, when I started riding again I thought I could just jump on and ride. Very quickly my bike reminded me that even though the brain remembered how to ride, the body was out of riding shape and didn't have the muscle memory to ride well at all. Think "OMG a toothpick in my way - crash!"

My advise, take your time. You didn't learn how to motocross on your first ride. Trials looks easy but so does golf. There is no substitute for peg time. Help from better riders will show you the techniques and help you see the little things you are doing wrong that you may not notice.

Check your throttle tube. Domino has 2 choices, fast and slow turn. Black might be better while learning. Black tube is slow, white is fast. You can always switch later if you learn you want faster throttle.

Unlike enduro and mx, not all problems can be solved with more throttle, and don't try to clamp the bike with your knees. The bike wants to be able to move around. Let the bike do the hard stuff. Stay loose and let it work.

And most important. Have fun!

Thanks for replies guys.

I got a set of 2" risers thats_a_five recommended.

Bike has a nice set of pro tapers on it now

and the bend seems pretty good.

I might consider a set of drop pegs if I can find some too.

Is cold here today clutch and brake fingers went numb pretty quickly

will be riding more soon.

Hope to get the bike a little more comfortable

for me before I start putting more time on it.

If you lower the pegs, be careful about where your toes will be relative to the height of the skid plate. Too low and they end up hitting lots of things that don't move, like stumps and rocks.

Riding position in trials is a little hunched over with your knees bent and your butt sticking out a bit.

In cold weather I use some insulated work gloves and they keep my hands warm. Not quite as good for feel but warm fingers are worth it. You can also warm them by holding them behind the radiator letting the fan blow warm air on them.

Was like Christmas today.

My 2" bar risers came, Ryan Young Trials Techniques CD and a new pair of Gaerne Balance boots.

Bar risers made a BIG difference really opened the bike up. No issues with the cables either.

Rode a little over an hour tonight had to stop 3 times to catch my breath and let my legs and back rest.

I never had a clue how going slow could be such hard work. Sure it will get better as I get more efficient.