199A Sprockets

trialsrfun

My 199A came to me with 11/40 sprockets, that worked well. I have since switched to 11/42 because of the extremely tight sections that are too common here in the U.S. The biggest difference I've noticed between the two combinations is that 3rd gear (which I've never used in a section) works better on hill climbs with the 11/42.

I have a 199A that i have done a rebuild to ride i have put 11/39 on it, it felt too high for me at the start of my first trial but it was my first ride in 30 years.

But by the second event i was finding first was just right for when i need to go really slow to make the turn and second is just right for most short climbs

and not too high for some turns im only riding the white route setup for new bikes i dropped 11 marks at my last trial so for me the standard gearing of

11/39 is fine. for me it was more getting use to the bike i still have a long way to go but find my bike really stable and fun to ride.

Edited by bultacorock
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies. I did a search here on the Bultaco forum & it seems that the models before the 199a had a higher first gear with bigger rear sprocket, the 199a had a lower first then a bigger jump to the other gears (if I am reading/understanding this correctly) so as to give a good turn of speed on the road with a low enough gear for sections.

Edited by trialsrfun

Ultimately, regardless of the standard gearing, you fit what you're comfortable with in terms of what you use the bike for.

Standard for a 199a is 11:39 but this is high for use in tight sections, or, if you just want to absolutely crawl it without the clutch. It's the same gearing for the 199b and on mine I use 42 on the back as I like to gear down - just personal preference. The A and B have the same 1st gear ratio

The gear ratios on all 5 speeds, right up to the model 190/191 are the same and the standard gearing is 11:46

It was the 198/199 model that had the lowered gear ratios, not the A, but it used 13:46 final drive gearing instead of 11:46. This gave higher overall gearing but with the lower internal ratios it probably made the overall gearing only marginally higher

For the A model, they retained the lower 1st gear of the 198/199 but reverted to the original higher ratios of the earlier models for 2nd, 3rd and 4th

The 198B reverted back to the original 250 ratios but with 11:39 gearing

• Like 1

I've never used a half-link no, no matter what gearing I've used. I've used 41, 42 and 43 at various times on the 340, just depends what they had in when I needed the sprockets. I think it's on 42 at the moment but as I've got 2 B's, one on standard gearing and a M92 that isn't on standard gearing plus 198B that's on ??? gearing, I get a bit confused as to which bike has what sprockets from memory...

Hi Stu, I had a brief ride on the Motak 280 at the recent Midland Classic Clifton trial, I noticed that the gearing was lower than that on my 199a but seemed very usable though the owner and myself did not discuss sprocket sizes.

The Motak handled very nicely with standard geometry but had a fork kit fitted though I cannot remember if it was Magical or HFS. The footrest's were lowered and fat bars fitted in the modern position right over the steering stem these two things gave a very stable ride and certainly suited my height of 6' 4" the owner of the bike is a tall lad too.

The Rev 3 kick-start looked the part but being fairly short with 280cc's to propel round needed a strong push but I was very impressed with all aspects of the bike.