Fitting A 2006 Rev3 270 With The Keihin Pwk 28 Carb

podracer

went on a really nice mountain trail ride with many guys today...

Saw some guys with the 2008 rev3 270 and both sounded really crisp when acelerating compared to mine 2006 rev 3 2006 with this mikuni carb :wall: .

Took 1 of these bikes for 2 minutes and felt the difference with mine... wayyyyy betterrrrrrrr thsn mine... more power down low and really clean crisp acceleration.... could not believe how nice this bike worked compared to mine...

My bike feels with some detonations and weird kinda slow when i turn the throttle.. my carb is cleaned, and totally OEM settings..

I asked them and they said they DID NOT PERFORM ANY MODS TO THEIR CARBS !!

im temted to get a keihin for my bike. after I felt this 08's for only couple of minutes...

anyone know the carb code for the KEIHIN PWK 28 the 2008 rev 3 270 are fiited with ? were I can fin a good deal on the exact carb this newer 08's are fitted with '???

Im looking on ebay but they are too many listed on there , with the idle adjuster on the wrong side, etc... :wall:

Also , will this be a direct plug and play regarding the carb booots on my 06 rev3 ??

Thanks a lot !!! :icon_salut:

It`s not just the carb, you are chasing your tail. Learn to ride the bike and save some bucks for your next bike. Anytime you ride a newer bike it is going to be better. The `08`s did run good, it took Beta nine years to make it run. Ride a 2014 Beta, then you will see how bad the `08 is!

• Like 1

• Splatshop sells the Keihin.

You will also need a new throttle cable.

The intake manifold (carb to reed block) is longer for the Keihin so you need the later manifold. If you are really ambitious, you can make a spacer for the original manifold.

You can get a Keihin with a right side idle speed screw or modify an existing carb. However, you can not reach the idle mixture screw. Splat shop sells a mixture screw with a piece of flexible cable attached so it can be wrapped around and used from the other side. (Hard to explain but easy to understand once you see the picture.)

mid-atlantictrials sells an OKO version of the Keihin for much less money. Quality not quite up to Keihin standards but still quite good. I have run the 26 OKO and 28 Keihin. They run about the same but the 28 may give slightly more acceleration. (There are lower quality "look alike" copies of the OKO and I suspect that is where some people have found really bad quality.)

The conversion is not cheap and plenty of people seem to have good running Rev 3s with Mikuni carbs.

• Like 1

Might be worth pulling the flywheel and check the timing.

I jumped on a friends older 250 and it pulled way better than mine. i adjusted my timing slightly (a bit more advanced) and its much better and no more knock on over run and pulls much cleaner.

• Like 1

I fitted a Dellorto VHST to my old 2007.

It totally transformed the bike.

What you need is

Dellorto VHST 26mm

Either one with part number R9359BD or R9354BD (I got one of these from a Dutch website for around 100 euros delivered)

(They are virtually the same carb)

Though you could get your Dellorto supplier to build a VHST 26mm for you.

The B in Dellorto code means it fits via a rubber (like your Mikuni) rather than a bolted clamp, which would be A.

The D is for Destra, Italian for Right , so has right hand mixture and idle

(An S would be Sinistra or Left mixture and idle)

Jets etc are:

Main jet between 115 and 120
Pilot jet S38
Needle D47
Needle Jet 272H
Throttle 50 or 55
Float valve 250 or 270
Choke jet 70

(Carbs usually come with a 60 Choke jet fitted and can be difficult to cold start, just run a 0.7mm drill bit through the choke jet and hey presto, it's a 70!)

The carb fits straight on after you've turn the airbox to carb rubber around and a bit of cable modification.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 3

Might be worth pulling the flywheel and check the timing.

I jumped on a friends older 250 and it pulled way better than mine. i adjusted my timing slightly (a bit more advanced) and its much better and no more knock on over run and pulls much cleaner.

Does adjust the timing on this bike is hard to do ? never tried ....not a clue on how to di it

It`s not just the carb, you are chasing your tail. Learn to ride the bike and save some bucks for your next bike. Anytime you ride a newer bike it is going to be better. The `08`s did run good, it took Beta nine years to make it run. Ride a 2014 Beta, then you will see how bad the `08 is!

Thanks for your advice, im really clear understanding newer runs better.. thanks.

It just making the old run right , or better what im looking for with this bike. :thumbup:

I fitted a Dellorto VHST to my old 2007.

It totally transformed the bike.

What you need is

Dellorto VHST 26mm

Either one with part number R9359BD or R9354BD (I got one of these from a Dutch website for around 100 euros delivered)

(They are virtually the same carb)

Though you could get your Dellorto supplier to build a VHST 26mm for you.

The B in Dellorto code means it fits via a rubber (like your Mikuni) rather than a bolted clamp, which would be A.

The D is for Destra, Italian for Right , so has right hand mixture and idle

(An S would be Sinistra or Left mixture and idle)

Jets etc are:

Main jet between 115 and 120

Pilot jet S38

Needle D47

Needle Jet 272H

Throttle 50 or 55

Float valve 250 or 270

Choke jet 70

(Carbs usually come with a 60 Choke jet fitted and can be difficult to cold start, just run a 0.7mm drill bit through the choke jet and hey presto, it's a 70!)

The carb fits straight on after you've turn the airbox to carb rubber around and a bit of cable modification.

Great detailed info. !! Dellorto also could be a good option !

Sounds that are more commonly addapted to 06 betas than keihins ??

Thanks for your advice, im really clear understanding newer runs better.. thanks.

It just making the old run right , or better what im looking for with this bike. :thumbup:

The `08 had a different crank, cylinder and totally different ignition. The `08 ran great, but the rev3`s were too heavy (Compared to the competition.) after 2003. You are new to trials riding, which means you will never max out the 2006 capabilities. The feel of power means nothing in trials. In 2006 I thought the bike ran fine. Spend your time riding not wrenching.

Edited by lineaway

The `08 had a different crank, cylinder and totally different ignition. The `08 ran great, but the rev3`s were too heavy (Compared to the competition.) after 2003. You are new to trials riding, which means you will never max out the 2006 capabilities. The feel of power means nothing in trials. In 2006 I thought the bike ran fine. Spend your time riding not wrenching.

Thanks again on your advise. Yes Im new to trails riding. Totally... :agreed:

But not new to Motorcycle riding and knowing when a carb is not right...boggy and not crisp...

Ive owned 11 KTM's on the last 10 years...which 7 of them were 250 and 300 two strokes. Also, won 3 consecutive National Enduro titles in A class and my last 2 years ago in E2 Pro class ( 2009, 2011,2012)...

.. So yep, Im new to trails riding and new to Beta bikes...

But iM not new to knowing when a bike is not running right due to carb issues.

Again, Im a rider looking for the motorcycle to run smoothly and cleanly at all throttle openings

And if you say the crank,ignition and cilinder are different.. well thats a HUGE FACTOR on making the 08 wayyyy better than my 06.

I originally wasnt looking for more power on this TRAIL bike. Im just looking for the motorcycle to run smoothly and cleanly at all throttle openings.

SO, my concern is not running the MAX capabilities of the bike... Which is almost impossible on many of us here... Is just having a bike well carburated.

Also im not after the FEEL FOR POWER as you wrote. If I want that, Ill push the start button on my KTM 450 sxf Factory edition 2013 ... and yep... and do FIND power.

Not on the beta. I just need precise traction without bogging , for a better feel and increase for traction control on my trail bike.

Thats why I asked for CARB advice. not power..., not capabilities, not learning to ride..etc .

Hopefully this topic keeps me on the right track.

As others guys posted REALLY helpfull info on DELLHORTO AND KEIHIN CARBS .

To be Honest i dont want to do the drilling carb fix I saw on the mikuni Topic...

The BillyT mod to set the floats and routing the vent lines upwards with a T looks really smart !!!

BTW My carb is totally OEM.

I ride from 700mts to 1200mts over sea level,

Tropical climate ranging from 25 to 30 degrees celsius.

I use 95 octane gas 50:1 Premix with Motorex Crosspower fully Sinthetic oil ( had left on my garage from previous smokers )

New Air filter (old one was really torn and rotted)

Hope I didnt forgot any Usefull info for carb tuning.

Could someone tell me the OEM ,Main jet size , Pilot, Air screw setting and Needle position For my 2006 Rev 3 ?

So I can have a starting point to begin with ,.

:thumbup:

Thanks again Lineaway.

Edited by podracer

Does adjust the timing on this bike is hard to do ? never tried ....not a clue on how to di it

Very easy to do but you will need a flywheel tool to remove it.

2 different stators 4 or 6 windings. Yours should be a 4 as its a later bike so set it at 2.2mm (assuming its the same as the 250)

This is what it looks like but its the earlier one.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/post-1592-1140382977.jpg

Easy to change it back to what it was if you mark it before you change it :)

• Like 1

They came with a 150 main, 27.5 pilot. At your altitude I would run a 140 main(145 if trail running) with a 30 pilot. As for Billy t`s carb fix, the most important thing is the float level adjustment. The tang is to be adjusted pointing quite high towards the top of the pilot jet tower. I`ve ran the mikuni for years with no real issues. I ran a 2006 that ran flawlessly to 2500 mts. I recently had seen a 2006 Rev 3 that ran real lethargic. The bike was properly jetted, and had been like that for years. It was sold to some enduro guys that instantly read these threads and popped for the newer Del Orto. The bike still ran poorly, just never really revved out. I only rode that bike the one time, and have not seen it since. There was a post on here about a guy with the same problems, turned out to be the coil. The opinion was it would break down at mid rpms, but not noticeably. Always felt like carburation, not electrical. Good luck.

PS, most of the rev 3`s ran very smooth and slow compared to the `08. Even when new and everything working perfectly.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Really Helpfull replies !

Thanks Lineaway and Richfr....

Hopefully my situation is a rich mix due to my altitude... I ordered a Set of Jets... And will try them as soon they arrive..

weeks.. :(

I found that TRIAL AN TRIABULATIONS online store is just a magnific source for parts... (best Ive found)

They carry a lot of what they offer, and proccess and ship next day (provide Tracking ·#'s ) real fast !

I have my stuff shipped to miami, then to Vnzla... a long way but hopefully Ill get my stuff in the next week or so.

Considering all your advices... I wont spend money on the new carb... Ill just try to jet my Mikuni and set the floats correctly... and learn to live with it.

That woud save me some coins towars my next year new EVO bike... Hopefully Il learn enough to deserve a brand new bike (next year).. for the remains of this year, Ill learn to Trail ride my 06 rev3 to the best of my capabilities :)

Already my 3rd ride out , and felt im not letting my visual impressions from the almost vertical climbs and downhills impress me , and fell a lot more confident riding them !!....and the Old fellows are having a blast with me :))

Thanks again for the Info :thumbup:

Ill post results :thumbup:

I attached this pic from my carb, when i cleaned it last week.. Does this level looks right to you guys ?

post-21154-0-00560300-1427038111_thumb.jpg