Sherco 2012 St

tmoloney

Hi, Not sure this is where I should post this, but I guess someone will tell me if I got it wrong.

I am new to trials (and two strokes), having bought a used Sherco 2012 290 ST 3 months ago.  I live in Vanuatu where there is no Sherco dealer or any good motorbike shops, so the small riding fraternity here has to do all our own servicing.

Today I cleaned out the fuel tank and also cleaned the carby, as I suspected there may have been some dirt in the tank (correct).

Put it all back together, and it started almost first kick.

HOWEVER, I had re-routed the throttle cable incorrectly and so it was on full power, so when  the bike started it revved to the max for about 5 seconds before I could stop it.  I mean it screamed!

After stopping the bike I easily rerouted the throttle cable and expected all to be ok - not so.

Since then I have been unable to start it with the kickstart.  Compression seemed down, so I measured it and it was 72psi, but have no idea what it should be.  I finally towed the bike behind a car and got it to start, but the power seemed down and it would not idle consistently.  When it stopped I was unable to restart it with the kick start again.

A couple of questions if there is anyone that can help.

• I have looked hard but been unable to find a service manual for this bike - does one exist?
  • Could the over-revving have damaged the rings?, reed-valves?, hence causing the starting and idling problem?
  • Any other thoughts?

Many thanks

Terry

(The riding we normally do

)

You nicked the piston. If you remove the front pipe, you will probably be able to see the rings are now stuck. If you are lucky you might be able to clean it up. If you have aluminum stuck on the cylinder walls, use muriatic acid with a small brush. It will dissolve the stuck pieces. Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone, got up early this morning, saw all your posts, and decided to strip the bike down.  Yes, definitely looks like "cold seizure", although must admit I have never heard of this before.

Well that was one expensive mistake!

piston

bore

Really appreciate the prompt and accurate help.

Does anyone know of a service manual or repair manual for this bike?

Terry