4Rt Will Not Select A Gear !

chappo

Help guys,

Has anyone had this problem.

I was at a trial on Monday and had an off on a moorland section whilst in 4th gear, the bike fell on its left side and I didn't part company with the bike and was able to dip the clutch, picked it up and set off.

The gear selection at that point became a little stiff but just thought I'd bent the lever in a little bit and muck from the off.

Did another section in second gear, just tried to change up as I set off to the next group and the gear shaft moved up and down but it wouldn't select a gear. There was nothing there apart from the spring resistance.

The engine was running, the clutch action was fine, no strange noises, but decided to err on the side of caution and shut the engine off in case there was anything floating around.

The bike is a 2015 model and 9 months old with about 20 events under its belt and regular maintenance, I bought it new.

Yes I know it has a very comprehensive manual but I've lent it to a friend so unable to consult it for a week.

Someone mentioned that there's a pin on some other makes of Spanish trials bikes selectors that are built in to shear off rather than cause damage to the selector??

Many thanks guys.

Yes, bent selector shaft, easy enough to replace and fairly cheap. You need to remove the full clutch case cover and not the inspection cover to get access, so order a gasket too. Follow the manual and you'll be ok

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, yes you were right about the selector shaft, but it wasn't bent it snapped off.

I'm really surprised at this as the "off ", that caused the damage was a fourth gear slip on a greasy camber at 25mph , didn't even part company with the bike, dipped the clutch when we stopped stood it up and set off after a quick visual inspection.

Just glad I decided to stop the engine when it failed to select a gear looking at all those small pieces waiting to break off and cause untold damage in bearings etc.

Parts, the shaft, gaskets and oil came to £67, which I was pleasantly surprised at being a Honda, thought it'd have a 1 in front of it.

Anyway back running again and thanks for the advice guys.

post-15477-0-43168500-1463071809_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-60887600-1463071828_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-76344000-1463071848_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1