The Day The Sparkplug Died...and What I Learned!

cmxi

My 4rt -05 is a first kick starter 90% of the time, other times i have to kick it twice.. never any more. :D

Recently the bike have stalled in sections, figured that it was the low (1100rpm) idle or my inabillity to ride the bike that made it stall.. :rolleyes:

Set the idle to approx 1300rpm and problem solved... :)

This weekend i finished a section, let the bike sit for 10min, and when we were moving to the next section it started first kick as usual, but halfway i heard a backfire, had a look over my sholder to see whos bike it was but couldent figure out where it had come from, approached a small hill and suddendly the bike lost power and wouldent rev, stopped and the idle was approx 900rpm and it shot black smoke from the exhaust... :shutup:  :shutup:

Got the tip to change plug, rode to closest bike workshop, borrowed tools and got a plug, replaced it and was back for the next section. (got a 5 for the other one i missed.) :angry:

Got a 5 in the next section aswell, partly due to i showed up to the section literalty the second it was my turn(went the wrong way around a tree due to the section was ridden backwards and the arrows were in the other side of the tree). :facepalm:

Rest of the day i struggeld with a crisp off idle responce and a idle of 1800rpm. (the way it should run.. :P  :P )

After the competition i set the bike back to 1100rpm and the bike climbes fairly steep hills just ideling and no problem stalling! :D

So my sympthoms were, Bike stalled when it shouldent, Did not respond off idle as it should and in the end black smoke!

This has been a progressive thing and before the black smoke i felt that the bike was ok even when it wasent.. Mainly since it always started on the first kick :facepalm:  

Lesson learned!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

You presumably have a revcounter that you use occasionally so you know the sound of the figures you quote. Do you know where they can be obtained?

You've been hard done by - a pal had to change the plug in his TLR 250 last weekend and complained it had only lasted 18 years☺

4RT 260/ 2014: about 85 hours on counter, fed with german E10 fuel and Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 full synthetic, oil changes every 20 hours, it starts first/ sometimes second kick and runs perfect, just the first plug in because it looks like new.

A pal with same bike but another engine oil (10W40 half synthetic) kills the plug every 20 hours.

Is the engine oil making the difference? 

You presumably have a revcounter that you use occasionally so you know the sound of the figures you quote. Do you know where they can be obtained?

You've been hard done by - a pal had to change the plug in his TLR 250 last weekend and complained it had only lasted 18 years☺

Yes. Got a hour counter that has a built in revcounter. Got it from a local shop here in sweden. But you should be able to find one on e-bay for sure!

4RT 260/ 2014: about 85 hours on counter, fed with german E10 fuel and Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 full synthetic, oil changes every 20 hours, it starts first/ sometimes second kick and runs perfect, just the first plug in because it looks like new.

A pal with same bike but another engine oil (10W40 half synthetic) kills the plug every 20 hours.

Do not think it is the oil. I belive it is the coil. Heard that it is lot more juice in the 4rt coil compared to for example a crf250r that is nearly the same engine...

I have seen 2T oil choice make a difference in how long a plug will last so I would guess that oil choice on a 4T could do it, though I wouldn't expect only 20 hours...  I would recommend that he try a different oil, however he would need to get a new plug after the second oil change with the new oil so its a proper comparison. 

On a 4 stroke there should not be oil near the sparkplug, so that should not make a difference. Otherwise you have bigger problems than a faulty plug.

On a 2T it definitly makes a difference.

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

Just considering rings, valves, crank case venting, and depending on bike emissions recirculation systems. There is and can be plenty of oil getting into a 4T cylinder.

Where I admit it shouldn't be anything close to a 2T it can well be enough to cause plug issues. Especially if things like plug gap, or heat range are wrong.

A possible fix/help could also be to consider a one step hotter plug?

Just considering rings, valves, crank case venting, and depending on bike emissions recirculation systems. There is and can be plenty of oil getting into a 4T cylinder.

Where I admit it shouldn't be anything close to a 2T it can well be enough to cause plug issues. Especially if things like plug gap, or heat range are wrong.

A possible fix/help could also be to consider a one step hotter plug?

Thats my point. rings and valves should not leak, (especially it being a honda :D)

If they don't let at least a little oil past them you will not get things lubricated... It's a fact that even the most well put together 4T engine will have oil getting into the cylinder.

Also if the engine is new and you run the wrong oil (supper high end sinthetic) it could take extra time to seat the rings, or if your running some kind of second rate oil it could cause other issues.

Food for thought.