Beta Factory Clutch Advantages?

mcman56

Can anyone explain the differences between the standard Beta clutch and the Factory clutch? 

1. What is the advantage of the factory steel clutch plates, the ones with the top hat shape?  
  2. The 14 parts list shows a different drum for the standard 300 and all of the smaller Factory models?  125 to 250 standard models have a different part number.  What is different about the drum?
  3. The factory clutch kit on the Beta USA web site comes with a different clutch case.  Is it dimensionally different or just hard anodized?  The 14 parts list shows nothing special for the Factory.  
  4. The kit also comes with a slave cylinder.  Is it physically different or just a different color?  The 14 parts list suggest that the only difference is that it is black.

The top hat washers can be fitted either way around to set a different spring preload, these combined with 2 thicker plates apparently give 6 clutch setups - there's a document somewhere that explains it...... Edit found link http://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/pdf/STT-2012-3-Evo%20300%20clutch%20set%20up.pdf

Edited by totty79

I'm asking about the top hat style steel plates.  The extended lip fits inside a fiber plate but I don't understand the advantage.   See pictures in link below.  Mine has two plates like that but  there should be three.  

The insert image function is not working for me.  Your link did not work for me either but I think I have that document.

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/mcman56/media/IMG_04271_zpslntivgzm.jpg.html?filters[user]=24355982&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/mcman56/media/IMG_04301_zpsmq5nilp5.jpg.html?filters[user]=24355982&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I've seen three "factory" clutches fail badly. Always the gear behind the basket. I've seen none of the standard gear basket combinations fail. It may be the factory clutches are used mostly by the top guys who beat their clutches much harder or there is less effective shock damping in the factory clutch but the failure rate is considerable for my small sample size.

Ah, tracked down interesting data in the parts manual. In 2014 the factory two stroke had two different steel plates. I assume that's what these are. In 2014 there is a new clutch hub number for the 2t bikes except the 125 which still uses the old hub. The pressure plate and basket for the standard 2t has stayed the same for at least a decade. The newer 4 strokes use all six of the thick fiber plates. Where you see the two fiber numbers is where the 4 thin, 2 thick plates are used. Just a guess but the new hub might be slightly deeper to aid the engagement of the steel plate at the top of the stack.

Beta Clutch parts.JPG

Edited by dan williams