Section Pal, What's Your Fav?

mich lin

The topic of your favorite "section pal" came up at the ITS Mr. Bill awards dinner last Sat. night after the trial. Talking with Mark Oldar he mentioned two very large rattlesnakes had to be killed this week and he asked me about snake shot. I informed him that Snake shot is great, it's similar to birdshot!

My favorite " section pal" is a 357 hammerless S+W stainless model.

I carry two rounds of snake shot, then 3 rounds of 38 or 357 mag. The big rounds are for bigger wildlife than snakes.

I doubt that even 357 would stop a Califorina brown bear that live in our local mountains but it makes me fell better. It should stop a mountain lion that appear once in a while, for sure it would run off a pack of coyotes!

It amazing living in the wild west! Bear, mountain lion, coyotes, vipers or bandits is something most trials riders never think of as a hazard.

I do either of three things:

1.) run said animal or hazard over at top speed. ( has worked on two snakes, 2 cacti, and two pucker bushes so far)

2.) take the helmet off and bash the $#%^ outta the hazard (have not tried yet for my helmet looks much too nice)

3.) run like little girl (seems to work best :P )

I was scoring a section here once when a four foot rattler slithered out on the rock ledge behind me and accross the trail.

Next rider through hit the snake after splattering the rock and started screaming!

I told him "that's why we wear boots"!

My best friend has usually been the, uh, how do you spell it, calimine lotion?,

after gitting in the poison ivey! Which brings us to another point!

Leave your gloves on while walking/climbing sections!

Take them off when you wander off the trail to find a privy spot! :P

I am LMFAO!!!

After all we've heard over the years, the Beave finally reveals to us lowly serfs, Trials World Championship Secret Number One...

Carry Firearms!

I can see it all now...

"Waddaya mean I dragged a foot, ya sumbitch!? Waddaya tryin' to rob me of my world domination here, pal? Huh? Huh? Stare into this here 38 caliber video cam, ya smartass! Ya see my foot draggin'? Huh? I didn't think so, Stevie The Wonder Checker! Now punch me a clean before I come to my senses, and we'll just forget all about this. Ya readin' me PUNK? Why I otta... "

:P:thumbup::wall::DB)

Sendero, what about: "you feel lucky today" and "make my day"?

Mich Lin, you guys have strange conversations, but to scare wildlife, won't it be enough when you just swear loud, like when you dab unnessary in a non-stop :P

Edited by gasgas

Mich Lin

Are you having a bit of a lend here? Do you really carry a handgun when out riding?

Where I ride we have snakes that leave anything in the "Wild West" of the USA far behind for danger to humans (Australian taipans, eastern browns, and tiger snakes in particular are quite deadly while death adders provide a similar risk of death from a bite to the US rattlesnake) yet all most people do is keep their eyes open. People who like to take precautions carry constricting bandages and some form of hand held communications.

Please tell me the snake shot gun thing is really a joke.

Why do it get the feeling that he ate that snake with some beans that evening?

Jeez, I'm no enviro-nazi bleeding heart, but why start blazing away at the poor bloody wildlife when a quick full-revs cleanout would send all but the most kill-crazy critter scurrying for cover, surely?

Mind you, anyone riding the SSDT would do well to watch out for those wild haggis - decades of listening to thundering four-stroke BSAs, Triumphs etc. means they have no fear of trials riders and can be pretty vicious if approached!

(It's an oldie but a goodie I think!)

We take our hunting and shooting pretty seriously up here in Northern MN but I'm sure glad we don't have any killer snakes and lizards and bugs up here!

The worst we have is the occasional Timber Wolf, plenty of Black Bear and Woodticks. No gun required for these critters while riding.