Fuel Filters

monty-python

Hi all, have any of you used fuel filters, (in line ones). The reason i ask is because i have just emptied my tank (duff fuel), and noticed loads of little "bits" at the botttom of the tank. I'm sure this won't do the carb much good, but am worried in case the fuel filter may restrict the flow. Any ideas?

I always use inline filters on my bikes. It is much better for the filter to trap the dirt than it is the carburetor. The orifices in the jets are extremely small compared to the flow area through the screen in a filter. If you use a clear filter you can see when it is getting too much dirt in it. (I've never had one get clogged.)

Cheers,

Richard

Hi all, have any of you used fuel filters, (in line ones). The reason i ask is because i have just emptied my tank (duff fuel), and noticed loads of little "bits" at the botttom of the tank. I'm sure this won't do the carb much good, but am worried in case the fuel filter may restrict the flow. Any ideas?

fuel filters are designed for the job, so why should they restrict fuel

They will restrict the flow when the bits from the tank clog it up, No??

Yes.

If you get a batch of dirty gas (or pour in the dregs form your gas can), you can clog the filter and get stuck.

You can carry a small length of metal tube to replace the filter with.

Or, take it out, and attach the outlet end to the hose coming from the petcock, and turn on the fuel and flush some dirt out.

BTW--it's a very rare occurrence that an inline filter clogs enough to restrict flow...especially if you've checked it occasionally.

if it doesn't have one dont put one on if it was suppost to have one it would have come with it and i have found on betas that you cant have one cause the space is to small and the tubes pinch

ROTFPIMP

Why then put fork protectors on etc?????

so your bike it TOTAL stock eh?

Edited by mark christopher

They will restrict the flow when the bits from the tank clog it up, No??

Plonker of the week award goes too...........................

what the hell do you think a fuel filter is for? and where do you think the crap would end up if you had not got it fitted? oh maybe block a jet and stop the engine, never mind eh! ;)

mc, my bike is total stock apart from i have changed the grips and the tires for new ones

and charlie that is true it would wipe out the aftermarket parts industry it is just on some bikes you cant fit them on easily like on technos and on the year 2000 rev3 from what my freind said

Edited by beta boy

There are fuel filters that are very small.

I have not yet seen a bike that I couldn't put one on without pinching the hose.

And the idea of "if it needed it, it would have come with it", if it gained popularity, would completely wipe out the aftermarket parts industry.

After the talk on here.............I went yesterday and bought a small clear one.............so to start off from day 1, on a new bike (only picked bike up Saturday).

Like Charlie says............it is possible..............but it is a tight squeeze on a 315R...........but can be done...........with a bit of forward planning........

The tubes don't get pinched.

On another note...............these modern Trials bikes are tight to work on.................removing the lighting kit and loom from the new 315R was a real performance.................

John

post-9-1078126865.jpg

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Plonker of the week award goes too..................

YOU!!

They WILL restrict the flow when clogged

Have another read of my first post and you will see that the reason for fitting one in the first place is to avoid cr*p in the carb.

M.C If you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother eh.

filters for the TY350 were extremly small, but almost non existant now.

I use Kohler small engine filters, the smallest I have found.

Some are filters, some just screens.

Fuel taps have screen, but I like a filter before the carb.

Fuel filter will plug up?

At a trials school years ago, Ray Peters was discussing basic maintenance, including air filter. A strong opinion offered from a rider was to never put sticky oil on the foam filter, as that just caused it to plug up with s**t.

Possibly the same logic applies to not using fuel filters?

k

Plonker of the week award goes too..................

They WILL restrict the flow when clogged

Have another read of my first post and you will see that the reason for fitting one in the first place is to avoid cr*p in the carb.

[/qoute]

no deff not me as i would not be daft enough to ask it the filter would block up when i got crap in it! , AS a mechanic of 20 years i would know its better to have the crap trapped in a filter then going into the carb/jets/engine and causing damage/running concerns.

Then again im not daft enough to get the crap in the tank to start with!!!

As has been stated you either replace them regulary or clean them, think of a air filter, that would bung up with crap if you did not clean it so do you take yours out and leave it out in fear of it restricting air?