Novices On Mont 4rt

exiled yorkshireman

I was at the jim sandiford trial on sunday and noticed there was a lot of 4rt's competing. As well as quite a few expert riders, i noticed just how many novices were on mont's. Now this got me thinking as i always had the 4 rt down as a bit of an expert's bike - bit of a fire breathing monster - so am i way of the the mark here or is it a good bike for a novice ?

Was there too and not having ridden since April noticed the increase in numbers of Monts. Was chatting to a bloke on a Repsol who is on his second RT. He rides the easy course and has had the engine turned right down to "clubmam" spec. Veeeeeeeery smooth and was gripping like a grippy thing in the woods. He loves it because it will still pull up big climbs etc but not firey off the bottom.

Memo to self - build house before buying new bike!!

i ride as a clubman and have an 05 4rt, i find it very nice to ride and the grip is always there

just back the power of and it grips, you can tell from the tyre wear that its not spinning but gripping, the suspension is bang on and the build quality is the best by far. i am looking to getting an 07 maybe

with the programable throttle body if i can afford it.

jsp

We have a few 4rt's in west aus and they are fine bikes, and in the right hands right up there with the 2strokes. What I have noticed though they do flatter the lesser clubman riders who are quite content to move up in the rankings putting it down to their new found skills!!!!!! Next step is to ride the next grade which in some instances can be quite a shock when having got into trouble they proceed to wind on the gas and whammmooooo!!!!! one scratched pride and joy......... Of course this scenario is not restricted to the 4rt any of the new machines will flatter a clubbies ability, perhaps a season riding a scorpa175 or any of the 125's would be a better and cheaper option, gain some much needed skills then buy the 4rt.

Speaking from personal experience the quality suspension on the 4RT certainly helps, especially in rocky sections. The bike holds its line better than anything else.

Quite a number of people have commented that I ride the 4RT better than my Sherco, its a shame by results didn't back this up.

Edited by Cota Kid

Andy's not a trials rider, he doesn't understand.

Most sections you just go where it's pointing. So it pointed at the B, thats not far off, at least it's in the same row.

On a personal note, I had 3 GasGas but didn't like the pro when it came out, bought a Sherco, results improved by a big step, bought another one, results gradually improved, bought a 4RT and gave myself 3 months to get used to it. Got used to it after 1.1/2 trials and results improved again by a big step.

Conclusion?

Getting a new bike improves your riding.

Mont is very easy to ride smoothly as the suspension is so good

Conclusion?

Getting a new bike improves your riding.

Mont is very easy to ride smoothly as the suspension is so good

It is probably not the new bike, but instead the EXTRA practice time that you put in because you are enjoying riding the new bike. More practice, on the old bike, probably produces the same result. :wacko:

The only practice I get these days is riding a trial on a Sunday.

A new bike always seems to improve your riding

John, I guess you married an American lady. My wife can reduce those eleven words to one (or two depending on the depth of lack of mood)

• 5 months later...

I've only been riding for 2 months... only on a 4rt

Fine apart from the busted finger i got 3 weeks ago going over rocks i wasn't capable of going over.. OUCH

I agree that it holds a line well.. but have no idea what other bikes would ride like over the same sections LOL

The engine is a bit of a handfull to start off with... certainly need to respect the gas up hills or you can be dragged about a bit. The 4RT is still in charge of me at the moment... guess with practise it should be the other way round LOL

Jza

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I got my brand new 2007 4rt repsol replica at the end of jan. It is great soo much better than my old bike - 2001 beta 200. which however got me through two years of competing in comps. including the Vic and SA state champs and last year took out both! :lol: i think that this year it will be really good because it seems like there is a fair bit that i dont have to do, the bike just goes! its great! cant wait till the season starts again! but need to practice a bit still! much more that i can learn still! very good would recomend it to all people. because dad also has one and his is tuned down with the PTB. mine is still the same program as it came with and i am yet too get into any trouble! and same with him! which is more to say about his 315 :lol:

Dave