Shifter Problem 2002 280pro

cdn280

Nothing broke on its own, the shifter caught a 2' high 3" wide stump that was hiding in the long grass by the (dam/n beavers !)

Looking down, the shift lever was pointing straight up and I couldn't downshift easily. I thought it had spun on the shaft, but it didn't. I can put the lever in its normal position and downshift, but when trying to upshift the lever will move upwards to the straight up position again and not return.

Any ideas/suggestions before I tear into it? Hopefully its just the spring that broke and won't have to split the cases if I find all the pieces.

Easy to look, dont drain the oil, lay the bike on its side. The water paup can stay in place, remove the screws and tie-wrap the casing out of the way.

The clutch assembly comes out in one peice after removing the centzre screw. The you can see the gear lever and location spring. My guess is ists sherred off!

HTH

lee

Well its not the spring under the clutch, so into the cases I go. Figures it happened at the start of my vacation when I was planning on doing some serious section building. I was going to pull the engine and cylinder this winter to have a looksee... didn't want to do it now though.

before you go into the cases is the woodruf key sheered in the top hat where the spring is

What woodruf key ?? Are you talking about the the hat that the spring sits on under the clutch? There is a slot in the end of the hat that fits into the split on the shaft. That part is ok.

before you go into the cases is the woodruf key sheered in the top hat where the spring is

What woodruf key ?? Are you talking about the the hat that the spring sits on under the clutch? There is a slot in the end of the hat that fits into the split on the shaft. That part is ok.

Are you sure?

My son with his 04 280 had a similar problem after hitting a rock. I inspected the top hat piece and was convinced it was fine but talking to Kev at GasGas UK on the phone he assured me that this part was the problem and he was right!

In our case the bar across the top of the top hat piece was sheared but was still retained inside the body of the part so looked fine.

I like you was all for stripping it all down but this was one phone call I am glad that I made. Why don't you give Kev a ring?

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

Are you sure?

My son with his 04 280 had a similar problem after hitting a rock. I inspected the top hat piece and was convinced it was fine but talking to Kev at GasGas UK on the phone he assured me that this part was the problem and he was right!

In our case the bar across the top of the top hat piece was sheared but was still retained inside the body of the part so looked fine.

Stuart

Thanks for your input Stuart ! It looked like something was slipping when the shifter was moved, so I took the spring and hat off again and the key was still in it, but was sheared off, and still snug inside the hat ! Brilliant!! Good thing the broken piece stayed put and didn't flail around the gearbox.

Hopefully thats the only part I need. If there is more to it, I'll chime in again. Thanks to all.

To 99techno, what else happened in your case ?

Problem solved. Twinnshock was right, it was just the tophat part of the shifter return spring. The key part of the tophat was broken but stayed inside the hat until I took it apart and the key part dropped out.

The replacement hat came with a different return spring that is actually 2 springs (one wound in each direction instead of a single spring).

Its good to know that was all that was broken after the tales of fragile Pro gearboxes etc. I've seen 2 other brands of enduro bikes (Kawi and Honda) that dnf'd after crashing on the shifter side and doing enough damage to require splitting the cases, so this was good news.

Glad to here you have got it sorted.

Like you I was thinking in terms of having to strip the gearbox. I was quite impressed how easy it is to change. If I had to do it again I think I could probably do it in less than half an hour.

Twinnshock