• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably depends on a few things:

What towbar you have.

Whether you want it to be totally legal :huh:

What bike you're carrying

I've fitted my rack to a VW Polo estate which sounds small but is surprisingly firm at the rear end. I reckoned as I could put my 18 stone on the back and it didn't affect things too much, it would be OK.

Official weight limit for most small cars is 50kg as StuartC pointed out, so officially I'm around 25Kg over with a Sherco and weight of rack etc.

Mines a Witter tow bar (fairly hefty) - and the VW fitting is straight through the chassis (not bolted underneath) so I'm in no doubt about the tow bar. I'm not sure what the official line is on strapping the bike on - It does flex a bit without a strap from the bike to the car, but I've got roof bars so its no problem strapping it to that. Without bars you'll probably need to feed a strap through the top of the hatchback/boot.

Cheers for that mate, my focus is the zetec i model so has the stiffened suspension so may be ok.

I havent put a towbar on it yet but i will now, will have to get approval from work though as its my company car :wacko: either that or they can have it back and what i dont pay in company car tax will get me something like a mondeo or vectra of my own which i can do what i like with :o

Oh and the bike? Gas Gas tx270 :huh:

regards

superflytx270 :ph34r:

Just for info, I fitted a Cooper rack to my wife's Renault Megane and had no problems. The towbar is rated at 50Kg and I used to carry a Yam Pinky so probably greatly overloaded the bar.

I have now fitted a towbar to my company Mondeo and that has a 75Kg rating. However, the Mondeo towbar does not seem as sturdy as the one fitted to the Megane. The carrier seem to flex side to side much more - possibly as the towbar arms need to reach further from under the car.

The Megane bar is a box section and the Mondeo is two flat steel bars.

As for fitting to a company car - just don't tell them and take it off before it goes back :huh: . All new cars have mounting holes for towbars and it only takes about an hour or two to fit.