Dave Cooper Bike Racks

bikespace

Been trying to buy a Dave Cooper bike rack for past two days. The only contact numbers on their web site are a Tel/Fax number which is usually engaged, but otherwise goes straight to fax, and a mobile number which doesn't connect. I have text'd it but no reply yet.

I'm stuck in the Isle of Man at the moment working (with no TMX to hand), does anybody know him, or have better contact numbers for him?

Was looking to get hold of it for the weekend, but thats probably too late now. Not the end of the world, but would like to get it ordered as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Gaz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sent him a fax as well.

Must be doing well if he can afford to miss out on sales.

Needs a decent web site, or at least email details on his web site. Always seems a shame to me when company's have half hearted web sites.

I suppose some people like to stay small and if he's working full pelt no need to change anything.

Just sent him a fax as well.

Must be doing well if he can afford to miss out on sales.

Needs a decent web site, or at least email details on his web site. Always seems a shame to me when company's have half hearted web sites.

I suppose some people like to stay small and if he's working full pelt no need to change anything.

he may be on holiday?

We have both a 'Kliponoff' 3 - bike trailer, which is a galvanised and superbly engineered unit (apart from the fact it eats inner wheel bearings unless you strip and grease them once a month) and a 'Dave Cooper' bike rack. The rack is well made but not in the same league as the 'Kliponoff'.

I also had the same problems as others seem to have had in getting hold of Dave Cooper and he had my money for a while before I got the rack. The quality of the welding and finish on the trailer is superb and I would say the Kliponoff is the better choice. The only reason we opted for Dave Cooper was I was told that Kliponoff were no longer in production, it would appear this info was wrong?

Eiger.

Forgot about the Kliponoff ones to be honest. How different are they in design? Do you need to strap to the car or is there a central bar or bar at the back wheel?

I've got roof bars which I will probably shove a loose strap on to just in case of emergency, but I would prefer not to have to feed one through the boot.

I don't see there being much risk of the bike rack snapping, or the tow bar as I fitted a beefy Witter one with this in mind (and it goes straight through the chassis of the VW - not bolted underneath), but my healthy paranoia tells me there's only two bolts that need to snap to see my uninsured Sherco bounce down the motorway. Unlikely but possible, so I'll probably play safe. ;)

Anyone got an idea of guide price for Kliponoff racks?

The Dave Cooper one's seem good value at

I'm not sure that Kliponoff are still making racks - I tried to get hold of one about a year ago - I have a copy of the Klipon rack that was made by Diamond in the NEast, but they don't make them anymore either ! If you can find one then they are excellent - better than the Cooper by far.

I have used the same rack on three cars for the last 4 years (keep changing jobs) - all with Witter brackets and not had any problems. If you have roof bars then that's perfect.

I only use two straps, one from the roof bar to the handlebar to stop the bike falling back and one from the rack to the footrest, compressing the suspension and holding the bike to the rack.

Lightingboard is bungeed to the bike - sits on the footrest/brake pedal. Its rock solid and hasn't fallen off yet ;)

If I'm going a long way then I add another strap from the handlebar to the rack.

Check you towball weight though, most cars can only manage about 70 Kgs - a few bigger cars and MPVs can do 85Kg ish.

The big disadvantage is that the bike gets covered in salt/road crap - even with mudflaps fitted. Makes a mess of your spokes if you don't get to wash it off very quickly.

For the Colonial, the bike went in the car for the first time, but then it was a 10 hours round trip !

After all that waiting it's Sods Law that Dave Cooper rang me today, just after I'd had my Kliponoff rack delivered.

If anybody is trying to get hold of him still, I'm sure he won't mind me giving out his alternative contact number: 07906 343171.

I didn't find kliponoff on my quick Google search, but they've got an adequate web site - cheers fz950.

And Cubby, cheers, I'm planning getting over there for the Manx 2 day this year so we'll have to have a beer or two.

I've been working over there for a fair few of the events, Manx GP, both weeks of TT last year, Manx Rally, Southern 100, but never been there for a trial, so I've got to try and get over there this year for the 2 day.

My work over there is usually night work, which is good for me getting to these events, but poor socially.

In fact I've probably spent longer at Ronaldsway waiting for fog to clear than I have in pubs unfortunately :)