Dave Cooper Bike Racks

bikespace

Fitted the Kliponoff rack today and took it out for a bit of a test drive as the first proper outing may be a few hours next week to the Welsh National.

Looks good, and the car hardly notices it. The back end hardly sagged at all.

Does stick out on the left of the car more than I'd like though (about a foot) and not so much on the off-side. Anyone who's got a Kliponoff rack, have you modified it at all?

I reckon I need to either:

Cut 2 inches off the rear wheel bracket so it can slide further in to the centre bracket (I'd rather have more overhang on the off-side).

or

Drill a hole through the rear wheel bracket so that the bolt for the front wheel bracket can go straight through it and clamp on to the front wheel bracket.

Make sense?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikespace

No worries.

Speaking of the 2-day, i'm on the committee so if you need to know more then i can help there also. :)

And I'm sure a bike could be found if you were around at a weekend, something on just about every weekend. Buy the Manx Independent paper and see the bikesport pages in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Bike Rack

I'm trying to fit my Kliponoff (Walker engineering) bike rack fit that, I brought from the UK to fit a tow bar from New Zealand, I have tried to adapt the end that stays attached to the tow bar but its a wee bit different to the UK tow bar. And it seems a bit high for the rear wheel about 24"from the deck to the centre off the cradle, and also a bit too far away from the car, does anyone use a bike rack and we could compare measurements?

Has anyone got a picture of this bike rack?

I ask because I am in the market for a "bumper" type rack, but all the ones over here require a Class III hitch (2" square reciever), but these are not available for most cars, only heavier trucks and such...if I had a truck I wouldn't need a rack, but that's another story :lol:

Interested in seeing what you folks in the UK and other places use.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for delay. Believe it or not, just (10.30pm) back from todays trial after stopping off to do the results. I've just measured from floor to bottom of rear wheel bracket and it's 17 inches. From floor to the bottom of the bracket itself is 10 inches (the main bars which extend from the bracket). From the car bumber out to the rear wheel bracket is 8 inches.

Feel free to send photo's, I'm on broadband so no hassle. I'm no expert but I can let you know how it compares to mine. If I get chance and you still need them I can send you photos of mine.

JTT - I'll try and get a photo in the next couple of days. I'm away working in the morning and probably late back. I've got a standard Witter tow bar - seems pretty sturdy. I'm more than happy with my Kliponoff rack. Can't fault it - Yet!!

Doesn't look too bad Mike. One thing I've found with mine is the sh*t gets kicked up from the rear wheels on to the bike (mainly hits lower half of both wheels. Mud flaps needed I think, but getting the bike up out of the way would be better for me. I'll have to watch the salt on longer trips.

Can't really see on the photo how much it sticks out the back. Mines just about perfect - I have to just tilt the clutch lever up to stop it hitting the rear window (mines an estate too).

Hi bikespace

Thanks for the info, its just the rear wheel lift seems high to me being, 24" up from the deck, does my back lifting the Cub, still will have to suck it and see. I can't remember the height of the tow bar conf when I was in the UK on my Corrola. Had to put the bit that attach's to car on its side as different tow bars here. Will paint when I have got it right.

post-2-1079998273.jpg

My mates bought one of these and has been to pick my bike up a few times.

The backplate which attaches to the towbar he has turned so that the box section which the rack goes through is uppermost with the securing bolts facing outward.

The lever thing is cured by putting a fat block of sponge against the lever and tightening the luggage strap so the lever james the sponge against the back window.

The other option of course is to remove the lever totally for transport purposes :lol:

Because I dont have the room to store a trailer I needed a bike rack.I was given a brand new one by a bloke I know...but ...it didnt have the bracket that attaches to the towing hitch(left it on his car when he sold it).I had a mate make the bracket up for me (cost

I think the biggest issue is the weight that you can put on the tow ball/bar, rather than the rear axle. A lot of cars are rated at less than 70Kg - so technically would fall fowl of the law. Many bigger cars and MPVs have a higher ball/bar weight ratings.

I have the same rack as shown and I fit the bracket 'upside down' to make the box channel as high as possible as I've had some probs on ground clearance. I don't need a ball so it works fine.

It can be a bit of a struggle when I'm knackered at the end of a trial and the bikes extra heavy with mud, but generally its not a problem - always put the front wheel on first and take the rear off first

The cars I have fitted it to have been estates or MPV, with a very flat back window. I try and keep the bike as upright as I can and the clutch lever is fine - I can still use the rear wiper.