Crackpot Trial Last Sunday.

john.b

I personally don't mind hard trials and would happily ride one route type trials, so long as the sections are not dangerous. Perhaps the guys at the top end would start to moan though that the sections were not challenging enough for them. This topic has highlighted just what a difficult job a clerk of the course has in setting out sections for experts and clubmen alike.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perce and Others,

I do not mean this post to be a debate or knock anyone who has posted but i am not sure what poeple mean by to hard for a clubman.

At the 3 day on the easy route apart from 2 or 4 sections with double steps in and some shaley climbs all the other sections were very getable for everyone. When riders say the sections were to hard for the clubman dose that mean they are unable to get out the end cards on a lot of sections or they paddled through most or riding up the streams and gulleys is hard enough.

What i am trying to say is that at the 3 day i dropped sh&t loads every day not by not getting through or being unable to (if i had a good ride) get up things but by my feet going down every time the forks moved and i was shatterd after paddling through some flat ones because i could not get my feet back on the pegs which did not help my final score. Dose this mean its to hard because i paddled a lot and did not get up a few steps and was knackerd at the end of every day. Well i don't think so i should be a bit better.

There has to be things in the trial some riders can not do to let the better clubman improve and then progress on to the hard route. Do any of the Expert say their route is to hard or is it just us clubman.

Sorry if this seems to be directed at anyone or ones who has commented its not ment to but i hear it a lot around here.

Ralph.

Perce, Keep doing what has made the Richmond club so successful.

John B

Just saw your post and could not agree more.

Edited by Ralph

I rode the Crackpot trial last Sunday and, along with the four others that I rode with, I had a good tussle overall with some good rides (and some stinkers) on proper sections which would not normally have been put in front of us on a centre trial clubman route. I feel that for a single route centre trial the severity was spot on. The Bradord club also ran a similar trial at Grasington earlier in the year which was just as good. As long as we know its one route for all before we go then what is the problem. Well done to all concerned.

What may have put off some of the less able clubmen (arnt I being politically correct) at the Crackpot was that 90% of the sections were 5's or 3's which can get a bit disheartening. But lets not forget its better than navigating around a sea of flags only to miss one!!!

Any comments from riders who normally do the hard route? was it too easy? :wacko:

You are always going to get this debate when you have trials such as the crackpot, gerald simspon, reeth 3 days trials where only adults can enter! I didnt ride the trial this sunday but rode the other 2 ealier in the year and have to say i thought the sections is both the 3 day and gerald simspn were perfect for the clubman hard enough not to clean but do able when having a good ride. I spoke to few people on sunday night about the crackpot 3 clubman and 1 expert and they all said the same thing! alot of the sections were to hard for the clubman riders but a bit easy for the expert route! with the crackpot it is a cente trial so it should be harder than the average trial and clearly was, but whats the point making it so hard that you get the amount of retirements that the did? I personally think that these type of trials should be made for the clubmen / green course riders and if the experts etc think its to easy its simple dont enter next year! clubs should remember that its the not so good class of riders that are the majority of the entery at club trials not the expert!

So the sections that were used in the 3 day were ok but when used at Crackpot they were too hard? What a load of B*****ks. How many went clean? Not too easy was it?

Same section different weather conditions, they usually ride better full of water as there's considerably more grip.

Edited by PERCE

Like i say perce i rode the 3 day and personally thought they were perfect, I didnt clean that many but they were enjoyable to ride even tho they were hard, as fore the crackpot trial on sunday i dint ride this but the lads who did said it was alot harder! they might not of ment the same sections possibley?

Virtually all sections used this year at Crackpot have appeared at some point in the 3 day over the last few years.

What may have put off some of the less able clubmen (arnt I being politically correct) at the Crackpot was that 90% of the sections were 5's or 3's which can get a bit disheartening. But lets not forget its better than navigating around a sea of flags only to miss one!!!

Short of getting Bruce Cook in to tarmac sections some arn't going to clean owt come what may!

At the end of the day you wont get any better riding sections that are to easy and I have to say I persoanlly that would prefer to ride a harder trial than a easy trial because you get more satisfaction out of riding through an dhard section for 2 than cleaning a simple section. And if its easier for the lads who set the trials out then fair play becasue without them we woulnt have trials would we.

nice to see rmc getting a good review for a change.i agree with perce 100% ive only rode trials bikes for 4_5 years and a member of rmc.i started riding clubmen for 2 years or so then moved up to green the reason for that was i wanted more out of trialing.i rode r/3 day+crackpot+ the scott as clubmen rider and learnt a great deal from it. you pay peanuts for a good day out a dont realise how much the club bend over backwards to run a trial/ i know one thing over the years ive rode theres still riders riding clubmen now+winning as they where 3yrs ago? ( not knocking young riders at all take my hat off to them ) so whats all the fuss take the rough with the smooth + enjoy :wacko:

Both my son and daughter rode the Crackpot trial on Sunday they also did the 3 day back in July. From the feed back I got from them, they both thought it was a good trial. Mat said it was a different lap from previous years which made it feel like a different trial. He commented that some of the sections on Sunday had been hard route sections in the 3 day and were pretty tough. I don't think this is a problem as long as you've got some sections in there that everyone can clean. Someone once said to me when setting out a trial you should have a third of the sections that everyone can clean, a third that the decent centre riders can clean and the final third that only the best riders will clean. Looking at the results it appears that this has happened. I agree with Perce re the Scott trial entrants, if they can't manage Crackpot are they wasteing an entry in the Scott! After all if a 17 year old girl can finish on Sunday with a good number of cleans what hope is ther for the lads that quit. It was a centre trial set to a standard of a centre championship.

im sure we could all have a longer natter about section severity at novogar rounds[clumben championship]..so long as we are all smilling at the end of the day, and can get out of bed for work in the morning,,what does it matter if we ache for days.. personally i think the reeth 3day is great..can t wait for next year,,hope im lucky enough to get a ride. thought about the crackpot trial but its a long way oxford for i day..probally well worth the effort though.

Ralph! had a dab every time the forks moved ? your bloody front wheel dont touch the floor most of the time, 4 hours back wheel hopping today only time it touched the floor was when you filled the bike up and scoffed them Ginsters down.

Trials like the Reeth are in our lots opinion are just right, long way for us to travel to come and compete up North but we prefer these trials to our local southern types even though the terrain is a little alien to us. The Hipwell trial me and Ralph did last Sunday was just about right, maybe could have been a little harder in places and maybe should have done the hard route in the end but a few of the sections were a little beyond us. Did nt hop the back wheel once or the front and no need to stop in any of the sections which down here you have to be able to do really well in the Expert class.

Reeth 3 day is a challenge without having any Geoff Capes moments, would'nt bother with the journey if you went around for 20 over the three days, dont see much point in ever having just abit of a ride round at a trial, if its too easy do the hard route, if its too hard practice more or dont enter these types of trials.