Is That Thing Loaded!

A Mate of mine had left a bike with me, to sell if possible while he was away.

Yesterday afternoon a chap came and bought it and was quite pleased with the bike.

This morning I got up and checked the old email, and find this email from the chap who bought the bike.

[Q] chap who bought the bike.

Thought I'd send you an up-date.

Got over to Kyles and was showing his Dad the bikes. Had the Sherco off

the trailer and did a few small wheelies and Kyle said he wanted to give it

a try .... I said okay and got him the helmet and emphasized just put

around don't give it any gas, that my first time out I went right to

emergency (to say no would show a lack of trust). He made a couple of

passes around the lawn and thought he'd go around his Mom's car, he was

getting a little cocky when I reminded him not to give it any gas. Well it

got away from him, he shot forward and put a crease all the way down his

Mom's car and tore off the mirror then the bike shot into the garage and

slammed into four bicycles that were stacked there (I think he bent them

all). Kyle wasn't hurt but he has a little more respect for the girls bike

that just puts around. The Sherco came out of it okay, no more than I

would have done on my first crash out in the woods. It takes a while to

learn throttle control ... I should have let him do it on the Beta and

someplace more open like Washougal, you sure can't learn it unless your

doing it, say what you want you have to experience the power before people

believe you. It was one of those learning experiences ... glad we all

walked away from it with no more than bruised ego's.

:) well at least it wasn't a bike problem, but point the buggers away from bodies and autos next time.

Hey Ish - Had that happen a couple of years ago - a guy came over to see what the new style bikes were like - he used to ride in the '70's - I rode the new Beta around the yard to show him and his buddies how they worked, - I really stressed the finger on the clutch at all times thing.

but after a couple of loops around the yard - with me yelling at him, he couldn't resist showing his buddies how he used to wheelie in the old days

In a split second he is launched towards the wall of my shop, completely out of control with me rivited to the spot. - somehow he managed to restle the bike to the ground before hitting the wall, with no damage done except to his pride. - This guy was the Canadian National Champ in 1976 - JUNIOR !! - he now has a lot more respect for modern bikes. - but is sticking to flying airplanes. - Both his buddies bought Trials bikes off me.

The moral of the story don't let anybody try out a new bike, without a lot of open space, and don't be fooled into thinking they can ride because they have raced a MX bike or similar. - Trials bikes are different in more ways than one. ALWAYS make sure they have a helmet on, and ALWAYS make sure they know they are liable for any damage to themselves or the bike.

Same thing happened to me at the local airport when one of my flight instructor buddies that had lots of experience on a street bike decided he wanted to ride the Sherco. After a briefing, I pointed him out to a nice open area on the ramp and told him to just do big circles. After about the second one he started giving the bike a bit of throttle and started this jerking thing which continued all the way back towards the hangar.

While I was screaming "clutch and brake" he managed to jerk his way into the hangar and lay the bike down on the slick floor just before wiping out the wing of a Cherokee, but the handlebar managed to make a nice hole in the bottom of the fiberglass engine cowling.

He was not hurt but he got fired from the job for being a screw up!

Be careful! :)

When trials bikes go bad…

Just in case you think this story is an isolated event, something similar happened to me some time ago. I had a brand new Scorpa sitting in the shop and my son took it out and was playing on it. One of his friends stopped by and my son let his friend ride it. His friend had very limited experience on motorcycles of any kind and I still question why my son offered the brand new bike and not the used one that had been sitting right beside it. However, this young man was very careful with the bike. No wheelies, no holeshots, no wheelies, no wheelies (why is it everyone investigating trials bikes has to try to wheelie the thing down the road?). In fact, I don’t think he even got it out of first gear. All was well until he was ready to quit. As he pulled up next to the cars he managed to crack the throttle open. I don’t know exactly what happened (I wasn’t there – this story was briefed to me by my wife, who witnessed the event), but I suspect he went to pull the front brake and opened the throttle at the same time. Being on pavement, the bike plowed forward, leaving the rider slightly behind but still holding on. This motion tends to increase the throttle opening, which it did in this case. The errant Scorpa wheelied into the rider’s own Chevy Blazer, bounced up and down a couple times on the back wheel, ripped the passenger mirror off the car, then parted company with the rider. Once he released the bike it calmed down and prostrated itself on the ground. The bike fared better than the Blazer and the rider, who managed to scrape himself up pretty good. It had a nice scratch on the rear fender and a very mangled footpeg – otherwise, no harm. Just another example of how a mild-mannered trials bike can surprise the unsuspecting victim.

Here’s something else. In addition to trying to ride wheelies, why do folks on a trials bike for the first time tend to wick the throttle open when they grab the front brake? I’ve seen this happen several times. A case in point:

These dudes stop by to check out a Rev-3 I had for sale. I get the same old story – they’ve been riding desert/MX/whatever for X number of years and they’re ready to slow down and take it easy (because we all know trials is slow and easy). Anyway, the first guy gets on and takes off. He’s got the thing wound tight in first gear, screaming down the road. Right then I’m wondering if this joker has ever actually been on a bike of any kind. He manages to locate the shifter at some point and clicks it up into second. Finding a handful of throttle he starts impressing me with his prowess in the art of second gear wheelies. A couple of passes up and down the road pulling 2-3 meter wheelies must have been sufficient to prove his reign as the wheelie king because he decided to come in for a landing at this point. He comes tooling up, standing impressively on the pegs, and slips it down into first gear. Then the master of disaster plants a foot and simultaneously grabs a handful of front brake and throttle. The front wheel stayed on the ground this time, and the front brake performed its function in spectacular fashion as the wheel skidded across the pavement and the expert motorbike rider did a one-foot hop trying to keep up with the Beta-from-hell. I stood there gaping as he squeezed harder on the brake and rolled the throttle on. To his credit, Mr. Motocross may have been able to shut ‘er down if he hadn’t skidded clear across the pavement and into the gravel. At this point the front wheel became a loose example of Newtonian Physics in that it was not experiencing any force to change its motion and therefore the bike became somewhat of a 2-stroke ballistic missile, in spite of the fact that is was only traveling a few meters an hour. Unfortunately this unguided missile was making a rather accurate trajectory for my daughter’s Nissan Pathfinder. I had a mental picture of the chrome on my forks mingling with the chrome on her bumper. Just about the time I would have soiled my knickers, and slightly after he’d already soiled his, Crash McDuck managed to shut the ol’ Beta down a meter or so shy of the Nissan. Needless to say, the rest of his crew were not allowed near the bike while the engine was running.

Just one example of something I’ve seen quite frequently. Wonder why that is.

:)

Bit of a different story...

I was down practicing at the local spot, and my dads mates turned up on their quads.

Trusting him, I let him have a go on my bike, being a WIDE open field, there was nothing to hit exept his own quad.

He was slowly going around and could stop well, and then he got confindent and took it up a gear, then another, and another. He then got to the far end of the field and into a shallow mud patch, this slowed the bike down and traction was not at its best anyway.

To prevent stalling he took it down into about 3rd, when he gave it some revs, I drove past him (with plenty of room) and watched all the mud fling up, and heard the bike screaming in 3rd, when suddenly...GRIP! The bike flung up into a Steve Colley type wheelie, then into Jason Finn. The rider let go and fell flat on his a***...I watched the bike wonder off on the back wheel, then it dropped forwards and landed perfectly, and dropped to its side.

I jumped off his quad and ran to put my bike into the recovery position, I picked her up. and inspected her over.

Result was a slightly cracked fender, bent bars and crushed rear silencer. The rider had a mear scratch on his arm...he paid for all damages.

Its a good example that people may think that they can ride a bike, in which they can, but a trial bike has strange effects on people.

I witnessed a non-too dissimilar incident at a club trial a couple of years ago. One the guys brought his Mrs along with her two yound lads - the youngest of which was about 11 or 12 I guess. At the end of the trial, the aforementioned youngest was pootling about on a shiny new Rev-3 I think it was, and seemed to be OK. He attempted a small wheelie and rolled thr throttle on, at which point the bike took off like a rocket with the jockey still on board (unusual these days I know :) ) straight into, and right down the side of, a 3 month old VW Golf. The young fella ended up with a broken arm and badly dented pride!!!

The car didn't even belong to anyone from the club - it was a family who had parked up to go for a walk in the woods!!!

Time to come clean.

I was delivering a new bike to a client. He had turned up early so I had not had time to run the bike yet. Anyway all the inside work done so we took it outside to start it up. Started second kick and the throttle open a bit it revved out quiet well. With that the bike took off from underneath me and straight into the side of his van. Fortunately no damaged to his van or the bike as I was close and it did not have much time to pickup speed. The bike I was unable to control the power on?

this is what happened to my mates little brother this weekend hsi parents had decided to get him a 50cc crosser this kid was about five and had never riden a bike before he does not look very good on a bicycle so it was an accident waiting to happen eney way they went to test the bike they tought him how to go but barley how to stop it and he was only waring a bicycle helmet he pulled the throtle right back it got up to about 40 mph across the feild before he managed to shut the throtle off but it was to late over the bank of the feild onto the road and face planted into the tarmac his hole side of his face was all cut and bleeding they had to go to hospital. people will never learn it is all well and good teaching him/her to make it go but what happened to teching them how to make the bugger stop

damn im out of breath no punctuation!