Stratford-upon-avon Club Trial

scorpa3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 40, cheeky sod! although you are right :angry: if Sam and Jack are down as experts stick me as an Inter then, dont want it to go to furthest cleans or anything :D

Well if it's the win you are looking for..... why not enter as Clubman A! You'll definately be top of that class :D

Here is a quick run down of todays Stratford-Upon-Avon Club trial at Saintbury Quarry near Broadway.

Winner Jack Lee 3 (34cleans)

Runner Up Sam Haslam (33 cleans)

Third Shaun Fox 5

Youth A Martin Podesta 33

Runner Up Ben Millichap 62

Third Roger Tugwood 65

Clubman Route Winner Stefan Walters clean.

Malcolm Evely 1 (furthest clean)

John Braithwaite 1

Youth B Connor Evans 8

Runner up Guy Kenyon-Bell 14

C route Geoff Hands Clean

Runner up Dave Taylor 2

Ron Walters 9

Youth C Chris Wickham 31

1st Lady Franchesca Kirtly-Paine 24

Full results to follow.

Jack Lee took top spot in the Stratford-Upon-Avon club trial by the closest of margins from Sam Haslam at Saintbury Quarry near Broadway on Sunday with both riders dropping just three marks around the 12 section course.

Clerk of the Course John Braithwaite and his team decided to put in an extra couple of sections and make one a real tester for the Experts, however the fearsome climb at the top of section 12 posed no problem to the leading pair, they simply launched their bikes across the steeply cambered root and landed at the summit, every lap.

It was infact the innocent looking ride across some roots at section seven, Observed by Richard Gill that was to be the decider, Haslam lost his only marks of the trial here giving him the most cleans tie breaker.

Shaun Fox used his local knowledge to push the leading pair through the whole event and was pleased with a five mark total to take third place in a different class from the rest of the entry who found the course a fair challenge. Best Youth was ever improving Martin Podesta.

On the less severe Clubman route, Stefan Walters held his nerve to stay clean from Malcolm Evely and John Braithwaite who lost just a single mark each. Connor Evans was again best Youth loosing eight marks and showing the way to a good many experienced clubmen and over 40 riders. Steve Clarke also had a good ride in the dry stony quarry on his BSA loosing 10 marks to similarly mounted friend and rival Alan Taylor to take top pre-65 honours.

A clean sheet was also recorded by Geoff Hands on the yellow route from Dave Taylor who lost two. Franchesca Kirtly-Paine was the lone lady rider and finished on a creditable 24 marks lost. Evesham rider Chris Wickham was best Youth C dropping 31 and Ben Haynes showed real determination to complete most of the C route sections on his little TY80 as best Youth D.

Results

Dennis Bridges Summer Trial 29-10-06

Saintbury Quarry, nr Broadway

Report by Pete Barnett

A route

Adult : J.Lee (JL/MRS Sherco) 3 most cleans, S.Haslam (JST Gas Gas) 3, S.Fox (Gas Gas) 5, N.Paxton (Montesa) 30, L.O'Reilly (Gas Gas) 37, D.Basford (Gas Gas) 49

Youth A: M.Podesta (Gas Gas) 33, B.Millichap (Gas Gas) 62, R.Tugwood (Gas Gas) 85

B Route

Adult B: S.Walter (Gas Gas) clean, M.Evely (Gas Gas) 1 furthest clean, J.Braithwaite (Gas Gas) 1, D.Walters (Gas Gas) 2, S.Venn (Gas Gas) 3

Youth B: C.Evans (gas Gas) 8, G.Kenyon-Bell (Gas Gas) 14.

C route

Adult C: G.Hands (Montesa) clean, D.Taylor (Montesa) 2, R.Walters (Gas Gas) 9, K.O'Brien (Matchless) 14, G.Enston (Beta) 14

Lady: Franchesca Kirtly-Paine (Gas Gas) 24

Youth C: C.Wickham (Gas Gas) 31

Youth D: B Haynes (Yamaha) 96

Great report Pete re results, surprised Sam and Jacks marks were taken on section 7 though, thought as you did it would be the section 12 pants soiling one.

Well done Ralph, tucked me up again by 7 marks although he thought he had nt untill today, will whoop him at the Northern Experts though :) good ride Ralph, and did nt ask for a five on section 1 and 12 on the last lap as many me included bottled :beer:

Nice to have seen the trial took 3 off Jack and Sam, now I could have been in with a chance if I could have held things together abit more on the next 35 sections after section one. Dropped a three there or possible five due to 43 dabs, 7 backwards movements and at least nine minutes to get out of the section. It was awfull :thumbup: not the way to start a trial at all and I am sure I heard a bit of Heckling from the queue, and a shout of what the hell is he doing riding the hard route?

Emailed Pete earlier and I won the most pathetic attempt of a section of the day award on section 4, a rocky type section where I managed to fall off quite badly attempting a six inch step. Had some good rides though and pleased with the score of 64 only 15 off Dean Basford who is always a rider to aim at around the area.

Will be doing the Stratford Clubs Ralph Varden Trial in December which Pete tells me has a couple of Geoff Capes sections in and one will need a catcher or two :)

ERRRRRRR had a slight problem reading the results Pete posted above and told Ralph at dinner time when he came over for his now daily cup of coffee that a Lady had rode the trial, not lady as in girl or woman but Lady as in Dutchess etc. Pete next time put female not Lady, I will be reminded of this one for bloody months now :)

Edited by Betarev3

The Ralph Varden is always a tough one, especially if it rains.

Alexz Wigg and Ross Danby rode last year and made most of it look easy but even they had a struggle in places.

The RV is held at Shennington which is a steep grass field with a stream running down to the bottom where there are some old didused WW2 concrete filter beds. This always provides something just a little bit different. Particularly the A route exit to one of the sections which involves a good step.

If it rains this venue becomes rather challenging and I have a feeling we are due a wet one this year.

Wrighty is the Clerk of the course (think Colmore) and he does like to make em tough. And this is the last round of the Midland Centre Championships.

A few years back we put in a graded hill climb and this has become a feature, last time it was wet only a few made the top on all three laps. AND there is NO penalty for footing, you are marked from where you stop moving, not when you dab.

For those not wishing to struggle as much, there will also be a C route but this is a non-championship class.

Entries for this popular event will be limited to 100 and will be available from the Secretary Richard Gill shortly.

There are still three rounds to go in the Midland Centre Championship, the Aston Auto on 19th Nov, the Terrys Cup on the 3rd Dec and the final round which is the Ralph Varden on 10th December.

I've just checked and the regs for the RV are now available on the- Stratford Club Web site.

Edited by scorpa3

Spud, great section for your dad to observe on, must have been very good viewing all day. Think he gave me a three for artistic impression on the first lap and sure I heard him chuckling to himself on my lap 2 attempt that had most in the queue wincing and making their minds up that taking a five may be the best option after all :thumbup:

Ralph went 2 2 5 and Betarev3 went 3 5 5. It was an angled up hill approach to a rather large fallen tree.

There were 48 scores for section one on the hard route (three laps, 16 riders)

In total there were 16 cleans, 18 fives, three riders cleaned it every lap and four riders fived it every lap.