Montesa 330 Parts Needed

steve

I have just bought a Montesa Cota 330. I believe it is a 1985 model but that's just a guess at the moment.

The bike is a non runner at the moment but almost complete. The previous owner said it ran but not too well, they thought it was carb so fiddled with it and now can't start it at all!!

The first thing I noticed was the air box is missing and someone has fitted a aftermarket foam filter.

Does anyone know of an airbox for sale?

The second thing I noticed was the whole fork and wheel assy. has been fitted backwards!! Handling would be interesting and the brake next to useless as it's relying on the trailing edge. From this I have deducted the previous owners have little knowlage of bikes.

So I remain open minded as to what I may find on closer inspection.

One final observation, what a beast this thing is!! Physically it's very large, the ground clearance is massive. I can't wait to get her running to see what sort of power the 327cc engine gives.

If anyone can give me any more info on this model then I would be gratefull.

Steve.

Steve, click onto www.usmontesa.com and find "Montesa History" and your bike is there, 1985 look's like last of the twin-shock Monts, beautiful looking beast.

Anyway, have you tried Jeff Bungay at "Mainly Spanish" on (01425) 611287.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Gaff.

Hi dont know if this will be of ANY help but you could try Ellastone off road 01889 590186 or i did notice that a guy on e bay was selling off a load of Cota 348 bits. Now there is an airbox on there currently about a tenner and i know its off a 348 but its the same as the one on my 349 and according to Jeff Bungay the 330 is basically the same engine as a late 349 but with a different barrel etc and a lot of the parts will fit. Anyway if not and you can get the airbox cheap enough you should be able to modify it to fit easier than making one from scratch. The tank seems almost the same as my 349's polyprop one also so you never know. Worth a look anyway. :)

Airbox on the 330 is the same as the 348 & 349. Buy the one on ebay. Never rode the 330 but I did ride the 335 which had the same motor as the 330 but with monshock rear suspension. That motor has stuck in my mind for 15 or so years as probably the best motor I have ever enjoyed. It's absolutely brilliant. Smooth with oodles of plonk.

Thought I would show you a piccie of the bike. I have since started to strip it down and it needs a rebore amongst other things.

Note the forks in the wrong way round, well there may be a reason someone did that, I found the brake arm mounting lug has been repaired (badly !!) at the bottom. By turning the forks round it would put pressure in a different area. Oh and the handling and brake would be hopeless!

Well here it is, what do you think?

post-13-1079466952.jpg

Edited by steve

Airbox on the 330 is the same as the 348 & 349. Buy the one on ebay. Never rode the 330 but I did ride the 335 which had the same motor as the 330 but with monshock rear suspension. That motor has stuck in my mind for 15 or so years as probably the best motor I have ever enjoyed. It's absolutely brilliant. Smooth with oodles of plonk.

Thanks for the positive comment on the engine.

I have studied the airbox on ebay long and hard. It is definatley different, I think the 330 should have a plastic one and it is more triangular shaped.

Jef Bungay confirmed my fears that they are like rockinghorse s**t So I may buy the one on ebay, Old Trials Fanatic is right, I can modify it to fit and it's better than nothing at all.

On reflection you may well be right about the airbox. I've a test of the 330 somewhere I'll see if I can find it and have a look.

About a year or so ago a cache of 330's was found, never used, in of all places Havana. Seems that the fire dept bought a brace for firefighting in areas around the city and never used them. Horacio San Martin of Todotrial knows the story and may be able to help you with an airbox 'cause he rides one in twinshocks.

About the motor, it's very possible that contempary motors are better but at the time the 330 motor struck me as the best I'd ridden by a long chalk. It's notable that the impression has lasted as long as it has.

Steve, i have an un-used Montesa 242 rear fender (which i believe is the same as a 330's) and a pair of tank badges knocking around that would suit. If your interested, e-mail me your number, pay for postage and you can have them.

Gaff.

Steve, yep recieved on the 18th (just checked my e-mail).

I know where the fender is, just a case off locating the tank badges, as soon as i get them altogether i'll give you a shout.

Gaff.

Thanks Charlie, looks like the search will be going 'international' !!

Why remove an airbox in the first place? I bet it's sat gathering dust in somebodys shed and they are totally unaware of it's worth! :lol: