Rhayader Classic Experts Trial: Review

malcra

As it doesn't take me long to get home from Rhayader, let be the first to say how much I enjoyed todays trials; proper sections, some great scenery and a good challenge. I rode the (easier?) Clubman route on my twinshock and though had plenty of 3's, most sections (with a couple of exceptions) were clean-able and only the one 5 (on the first sub). Jack Parker showed me the glorious shot he'd just taken of me becoming detached from the SWM, threatening publication.....hopefully not.

The rocks at Horid were entertaining and the stream at Doliago that had probably the hardest double-sub, but all-in-all a great trial that was excellent fun (the main thing). Many thanks for the Rhayader club for organising and running the event; I will be back next year.

Interestingly enough, of the 87 entrants, the majority were pre-65 machines, with only a total 12 clubman and 13 experts on twinshocks. You'd think from the TrialsCentral forums alone that it would be swamped by the those completed "projects". This type of trials terrain is ideal for twinshocks and really for any rider. Ok, you may not win (and I never will) but its this sort of event that should these restored and on-the-road for. Its the type of trials they were orignially built for.

Finally, well done to Gavin, my next door neighbour, for taking an entry on the day, leaping on my rather unsorted TL125, and getting round in one piece....it kept me amused all day :-)

Yes indeed, another enjoyable event by the Rhayader club and it was nice to see that finally the trial is attracting the sort of entry and numbers it deserves. With 2 routes it offers a group of riding mates of varied ability the opportunity to enjoy a good old fashioned style event with sections to cater for them all. Nothing daft on the expert route but sections of a nature that you need to be line perfect to achieve cleans which is where the difficulty factor lies - and the whole point of no-stop riding, get it wrong and go off line and it will cost you marks to save a 5.

Fantastic variety of bikes taking part too, another factor that makes these events so enjoyable. Some lovely pre65 bikes and finally, a good few older twinshocks being ridden which makes a change from the ACU Classic which is virtually all post 80 stuff now. Mont 247, KT Kawasaki, Honda TL250, Seeley, 76 Bulto etc. Must get the Ossa done and start using it again. The owner of the TL250 (LFS 4P no less) allowed me a quick ride on it after the trial, I was interested to try it as I've never ridden one. Only around the carpark but lovely engine and the bike doesn't feel as heavy to ride as it actually is.

One thing I can't understand though, with all of these bikes entered for this trial, why is the number of entries dwindling in these classes in the Sammy Miller series. I can understand some of these riders not entering the ACU Classic events as they would find them too hard (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all) but the Miller series would be ideal. If you were riding the cubman route in this event and enjoyed it, you would enjoy the Miller serieis too. Give it a go.

One thing I can't understand though, with all of these bikes entered for this trial, why is the number of entries dwindling in these classes in the Sammy Miller series. I can understand some of these riders not entering the ACU Classic events as they would find them too hard (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all) but the Miller series would be ideal. If you were riding the cubman route in this event and enjoyed it, you would enjoy the Miller serieis too. Give it a go.

the chat in the pub after discussed a concerted campaign for the Sammy Miller series next year, with the "Tredegar Twinshock" contingent looking to provide a healthy entry from South Wales we hope. This week's Downland Trophy Trial has only around 8-10 twinshocks again, but hopefully we can use trialscentral to change that for 2007.

Also, my wife phoned me earlier with the Rhayader results; seems that Alan and LFS 4P had the lowest twinshock score on the Clubman route.....excellent.

Anne Bates did say next years Miller round will be a road-based trial, unlike this years.