Tech Help Needed On 4rt Ptb Comms

fantic156

I'm having some agro getting my laptop to communicate with the PTB and wondered if any of you very kind technically gifted (is that enough flattery) citizens can point this idiot in the right direction. Keep getting the error message "ECU CANN'T BE SHIFTED TO DATA TRANSMITTION MODE" when trying to read or write data. The set up is 2 map throttle body with 2 map software. Laptop with a female RS232C serial port (is this unusual) as the wiring harness also has a female connection, It aint gona fit. So bought a USB to serial adaptor (

Edited by fantic156

Std serial port on a PC is male (can see the pins). Have you got the cable wrong way around?

Going USB introduces a whole host of issues.

Serial comms is easy but you need to get both 'ends' on the same settings.

your looking for something that reads like 8N1E or maybe 7bits 1stop Odd partity (I'm not familiar with the box - yet! :-) )

But bottom line, it doesn't really matter what the settings are required by the box / ecu just make Windows match the settings. (do you know how?)

One thought, are you sure your looking at a serial port sounds like a VGA external monitor connector

HTH some

$0.02

Edited by cadman

i'am not sure but i think it's got to be a RS232 null modem cable i used to reprogram the software in sat boxes and you HAD to use NULL MODEM CABLE, they look the same as any other RS232 but the pins are wired different, not sure if this is what you need, but it's worth looking in to?

Thanks for the replys.

Recon I was looking at the VGA external monitor port, Dooooooo...!!! :thumbup: So have to go down the USB- Serial root. FF mentions the USB port has to be powered for the adaptor to work, this could be a big clue as I had the USB plugged into one of the ports at the back of the computer when I discovered how to check which comms port I was connected to and guess the most logical place for a powered port is at the front. How do I check wether the port is powered or not? Apart fron waiting for the children to visit with thier USB ipod charger.

Desk top in the garage Naaa. Bike in the house :) much more toastie, but a cracking idea!