Bike Registry

brian r

Please give me some feed back here,

would it help to have a registry for bikes?

Maybe someone could then check at the comps

to make sure all the bikes there are legitimately

owned, not stolen.

I'd be happy to help in any way. I'd do a website

for the registry if needed.

Remember turning up to a Road Race at Snetterton in the ninties, load of coppers pulled in as well to check bikes and I,m not joking half the paddock left straightaway, about 60 odd vans. Nicked bikes used to be rife in Road racing, dont think its so bad in Trials but it could be a good idea.

A registry is a great idea however I think it's something our respective centres, associations etc should look at, put frame numbers/engine numbers with your licence application or something like that, I know it's being pushed at the SACU by the Bon Accord club. Might be the best way for all the legal riders to register bikes.

My idea is to register the bikes but not have all the information avalible to everyone.

Then I could put out a list of stolen bikes only. This way clubs could check bikes against a list that will probably be a .pdf

I'd like to do this but I want to make sure to do it the right way.

Brian, if it became common knowledge that bikes were going to be checked at a trial against a list of nicked ones, surely restamping a couple of numbers on the frame or engine would mess things up abit.

Only way I can see it working is if all bike numbers are known not just the nicked ones so the proper id of the bike can be found or else a single number change would not spot a ringer.That would be impossible to do unless you had on site access to the PNC and that will never happen.

Plus most clubs and riders don’t have enough time to have the bikes checked before a trial, great if you can do something but lots of problems to get it working. I dont have any figures but keeping the list updated and out to all the clubs would be a massive task, the list could be 500 plus bikes/numbers to check minimum. Some of our trials here run to 180 plus riders, imagine how long that would take to go through before a trial.

Personally I would nt recognize a restamped bike, sure most trials organizers would nt either so a quick restamp on the frame would mess the plan up straightaway.

Edited by Betarev3

Brian, if it became common knowledge that bikes were going to be checked at a trial against a list of nicked ones, surely restamping a couple of numbers on the frame or engine would mess things up abit.

Only way I can see it working is if all bike numbers are known not just the nicked ones so the proper id of the bike can be found or else a single number change would not spot a ringer.That would be impossible to do unless you had on site access to the PNC and that will never happen.

Plus most clubs and riders don

Think you'd have to go abit further than to log number's these day's,,how about an electronic Tracker there's alot of neat little place's on a bike to hide them,im not a hi tech kind of person so i don't know what the range would be.I know if you have a sat nav in your car you can be tracked from the law's above where ever you are in the country. :D

The road racing thing did help with getting rid of nicked bikes from the paddocks in a way, from what I heard was you got a legit number from a mates bike, restamped the nicked one and all of a sudden the nicked bike becomes legal. Parts are the most profitable way to get rid of a bike, virtually no trace and in many cases more money in it.

Cant see anyone stopping bikes going at all and very rare they are ever seen again, busted up or rung. I have always registered my bikes, keep it locked up well and have it insured as much as possible. Some toe rag pinches it one night it will be a hassle but hopefully the insurance will sort it out. If I ever bought a second hand bike in the future it would have to be registered by the seller so its history could be traced, buy a non registered one you may be taking a chance.

Best way I have ever seen to prevent nicked bikes turning up in Bike sport is having plod turn up unannounced and start checking numbers at random, they're very good at spotting a ringer.