4rt Doesn

carl ekblom

I'm no authority on this, but was told by Sandifords whilst buying a Jitsie filter that they were indeed flame retardant and therefore there was no need to run with the flame guard.

I've ran mine without the flame guard since new without any problems, but at the end of the day the choice/piece of mind is yours.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run the flame guard though as I know of another guy who caught the air filter on fire on a sherco when he removed the flame guard !!!!

New one on me is that, not seen a flame gaurd on any Sherco I have had.

Flame guard or not - Just want the bike to start

Last years bike was purfect all year - this year 3 trials old and it won't start very easily which is a p-ss-r !!

Any body had any coil problems or bad earthing with the electrics ??

i find it odd that an 07 repsol wont start ? as it is actually an 06 bike which had no issues.

non std changes that need allowances usually are the fault.

but fitting a ptb cures this ,unless you use its maps which are not designed for your personal mods ie mitani ,jitsie ,wes . . if its std, get your dealer to sort it . if its not, get someone who understands what your mods need.

Just to second the suggestion of trying to kick it with the throttle wide open. The manual for my old enduro bike (Suzuki DRZ400 affectionally referred to as the "Big Yellow Pig") said to never touch the throttle when starting but I quickly learned that if the bike had been dropped or stalled there was no way that bugger would start without holding the throttle open while cranking the leccy boot for 4-5 seconds.

The open throttle method can work, demonstrated today whilst out on a practice day. Guy kicking over his new 07 Repsol and swearing at it. So suggested he held the throttle wide open and kicked it over gentle once (i.e. not a 2 stroke stab) then try kicking over again with his hand off the throttle completely (he had been doing this when the bike wouldn't start with no successe) the bike started straight away. So fluke or not it worked on that occasion and I would swear blind it's had an effect when I've had a bit of agro starting mine. Don't know if I've got a mechanical/electrical problem with mine but it can be difficult to start sometimes especially after being stalled and or in gear. Thought it was just bad technique on my part but if you guys had no agro on an 05 but now have agro on 2 07 repsols and then add a poss 2 others wonder if something is different??

Edited by fantic156

Tried the hotter plug option this weekend and the problems seem to have gone away. Checked the plug after the event and it runs much cleaner now. One bike has the std throttle body on it with big bore exhaust,Jitsie filter and the flame guard fitted. Other bike had big bore exhaust,Jitsie filter (no flame guard fitted)and Power map on PTB. So from this it's suggesting the plug is looking like the culprit !! Regards Std parts or not - can only suggest what we have found out, but all the above was used on the '05 bike apart from the PTB and never had a starting issue. Oh and one last thing - there was plenty of mud and deep water around !!!!

All in all for what it cost's for the plug - give it a go as it seems to work ok on our '07 Repsol's ps has anyone tried an Ohlins on their bike ????

Tried the hotter plug option this weekend and the problems seem to have gone away. Checked the plug after the event and it runs much cleaner now. One bike has the std throttle body on it with big bore exhaust,Jitsie filter and the flame guard fitted. Other bike had big bore exhaust,Jitsie filter (no flame guard fitted)and Power map on PTB. So from this it's suggesting the plug is looking like the culprit !! Regards Std parts or not - can only suggest what we have found out, but all the above was used on the '05 bike apart from the PTB and never had a starting issue. Oh and one last thing - there was plenty of mud and deep water around !!!!

All in all for what it cost's for the plug - give it a go as it seems to work ok on our '07 Repsol's ps has anyone tried an Ohlins on their bike ????

WHEN YOU SAY A HOTTER PLUG

WHAT MAKE AND NUMBER IS THE PLUG

CHEERS