Airfilteroil Yes Or No?

yama46

Even in wet conditions, an air filter should never be run dry (unless it's a paper filter).

A foam filter without oil isn't going to catch any dust. And there is dust in the air no matter where you are...even PWCs require air filters.

So, the answer is a resounding YES!

Even in wet conditions, an air filter should never be run dry (unless it's a paper filter).

A foam filter without oil isn't going to catch any dust. And there is dust in the air no matter where you are...even PWCs require air filters.

So, the answer is a resounding YES!

Correct answer I guess I'm just a bit lazy. I just wish we saw a bit more dust aroud here... all we ever get is mud.

In the summer (if there's a trial that day <_< ) I do tend rub a little into the palm of my hand (wearing a plastic glove) and rub it into the filter but certainly not enough to make it wet. Just enough to catch fine dust.

You dry air filter guys can do what you want, but a dry air foam air filter is of virtually no value. Even Briggs & Stratton can tell you this, and I think our motors require a bit more TLC than those workhorses:

How It Works

The "foam only" style air filter system works by trapping dirt and debris through the use of motor oil spread throughout the oil foam holding medium. A dry or non-oiled oil foam filter will trap only the largest particles. If the air filter element is foam only, it MUST be oiled and serviced regularly.

http://briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=64059

= = =

The fact is this: A foam air filter is not a filter at all. It only exists to hold the oil, which attracts and holds the dirt. Without the oil, the foam air filter has no way of filtering particles that are relatively large...such as sand. Anything smaller, and there is all kinds of dust floating in the air where you go, will find its way into your engine.

I run mine with Oil. and i grease up all around the seals and everything basically!

I find if you buy the correct airfilter and fit it PROPERLY it will not matter if you put a little too much oil on it, and it will do fare more good than harm.

My airbox is always clean as a whistle and after a few months riding i checked the carb which was similarly spotless.

Not much point in having an air filter if it is dry.It only catches small twigs,wee mice and spiders.As for spraying the inside of the airbox with chain lube it makes no sense.All the dust will collect in there and it isnt easily cleaned.The air filter is easily cleaned with a tupperware tub of petrol and a pair of rubber gloves,turn it inside out before cleaning.Any oil will do,as long as it is not too thick,air filter oil is the stickiest thing on the planet and I dilute mine with petrol 2:1.I still manage to get it on my boots,the garage floor,the frame,on the exhaust etc...Who the hell designed these Scorpas anyway? <_< That airbox is a bollix. I must try and find a second hand airbox and do some work on it.......

Need a pint first.... <_<

RocketRon

Ron, there isn't an air filter company around that's going to suggest you clean your filter with petrol. For one, it's dangerous on a variety of levels (fumes, fire, skin absorbtion). Second, the gasoline can attack the glues used in the filter, with disasterous results.

If you don't want to buy dedicated air filter cleaner, a good soap and warm water will do it with a bit more work. And don't dilute the air filter oil. Add it slowly, so you don't oversaturate the filter. But, diluting it is not a good strategy.

Ron, there isn't an air filter company around that's going to suggest you clean your filter with petrol. For one, it's dangerous on a variety of levels (fumes, fire, skin absorbtion). Second, the gasoline can attack the glues used in the filter, with disasterous results.

If you don't want to buy dedicated air filter cleaner, a good soap and warm water will do it with a bit more work. And don't dilute the air filter oil. Add it slowly, so you don't oversaturate the filter. But, diluting it is not a good strategy.

Yes, Unleaded petrol contains very nasty chemicals which are used to replace the lead once used in fuel.

This would actually make a very good topic for discussion on its own.

The chemicals in unleaded can cause cancer if they come into contact with the skin or are inhaled. Modern uleaded fuel is portrayed as being a green fuel. This is only true when it has passed through a catalytic converter after being used in the engine.

Vehicles which have not warmed up, have a faulty cat or worse no cat at all allow some very nasty gasses to be expelled from the exhaust.

Never inhale the fumes from unleaded petrol, avoid all contact with the skin and make sure you avoid breathing in the fumes from a vehicle warming up on the drive or without a cat fitted.

As catalytic converters have been fitted to all petrol cars in the UK since 1991 (I believe) you will encounter relatively few cars on a regular basis which don't have a cat fitted.

So that is fortunate, luckily I can't think of a scenario where you might find yourself in regular exposure to exhaust gasses wich haven't been passed through a good warmed up catalytic converter.......... can you?

When will you guys realise that there is no championship to run with as little air filter oil as possible.Dirt is the only real enemy of the modern engine. Any dirt entering the engine will cause rapid wear leading to loss of perfomance. Oil properly and set up carb to suit and you will have no problems. Our 125 Gassers have been run with plenty of filter oil and during 06 being revved to the limit have suffered no engine wear,not even needed piston rings and the machining marks are still on the pistons after many hours of hard work. We dont go beyond 60:1 on oil either. Engines need proper lubrication!!!

Bigwigs right!

I use filter oil spray - lightly applied (make: Kalgard)

When you properly wash a filter - first cleaner & then hot water & detergent - you really see all the dust & grit that could be in your engine....is now in your sink.

So that is fortunate, luckily I can't think of a scenario where you might find yourself in regular exposure to exhaust gasses wich haven't been passed through a good warmed up catalytic converter.......... can you?

Sitting in queues at sections