Airfilteroil Yes Or No?

yama46

August 92 was when cats were introduced. My car is early 92, and has no Cat.

I have always cleaned my airfilters with petrol, as i did it once with just soapy water, and no matter how thoroughly i did it, it was no where near as clean as with petrol.

I think i must be pretty exposed to unleaded fuel, i never realised how bad it was, i knew it was nasty.

Where can i get proper air filter cleaner.

Just washed the bike now after the Vic Britain trial last sunday. Took the back mudguard off and the airfilter is spotless and bone dry. I have had to clean the airfilter twice during my ownership of the bike.

What you are all saying is correct, however I was advised to run my bike like this by Birketts and they run their bikes the same. When I had the problem with mine they were asking me wheather the bike was getting enough air. And asked wheather I was running it with filter oil. It does seem critical the amount of air the Yam engine needs. I too was a bit unsure at first, but ive ran it like this now for 7 months and the bike runs superbly.

The airfilter will catch dirt, twigs etc and the chain lube underneath will catch the dust. Never found anything though in my airbox apart from a leaf. And the 2 times the carb has been off it has never had a spec of dirt or anything in there.

When my bike was up at Birketts last week they said it was one of the nicest running and sharpest bikes they've had through.

All i have done is put a bigger rubber mudflap at the bottom around the shock and silicone round the back of the mudguard and down the sides to about an inch off the tank everytime its off. I want to put some Mastic in between the silencer and airbox.

Nitjay - you can get airfilter cleaner from any motorbike or car accessories shop.

I clean my air filter with a cream type hand cleaner such as Gojo

Work it onto the filter and let it sit for a while, work it in a little more, rinse and wash out with dish detergent, rinse again and let it dry.

I've used ATF or a dedicated filter oil. Both work fine. Grease the filter seals and you're done.

Edited by Dabnabit

Where can i get proper air filter cleaner.

I believe Twin Air products are available world wide. They make an excellent cleaning fluid and cleaning tub.

Also, I believe every major Japanese manufacturer markets its own air filter cleaning/oiling products (though I'm sure someone else makes them).

Here's the process I use, and my filters are pretty much 100% clean after each washing:

Spray oil filter cleaner on the filter (pretty much any brand handy).

Rinse thoroughly.

At this point, most of the dirt is out, but it's tough to get all the oil (and the dirt it's holding) out.

I then dunk the mostly clean filter in my Twin Air cleaning tub filled with Twin Air cleaning fluid.

Rinse thoroughly.

At this point, the filter is about as oil- and dirt-free as it's going to get.

Another tip: Always rinse the filter from the engine-side out! If you rinse from the open air-side in, you will push the dirt farther into the filter, toward the engine!

Oh, and I did get a chuckle out of the claim by the gentlemen with the unoiled filter that it's always clean when he examines it. Of course it's clean...it's not filtering/collecting any dirt! Any dirt/dust that comes its way is going straight into the carburetor and on to the combustion chamber.

Edited by MalibuDon

I dilute mine with petrol 2:1.I still manage to get it on my boots,the garage floor,the frame,on the exhaust etc...Who the hell designed these Scorpas anyway? That airbox is a bollix.

I have owned many Scorpa 2-strokes, and there is not a thing wrong with the airbox, except user error.

This whole thread seems to be about how much trouble comes from not using the proper products. Get a spray can of air filter cleaner, spray it on, wash it out in the ktchen sink. Couldn't be easier. Blow the filter dry with a common hair dryer. Get yourself a plastic ziplock bag, and place te air filter inside. Get a can of spray air filter oil, and with the filter in the bag, use the plastic tube that came with the can to spray oil on the inside and outside of the filter. (Still no mess on your hands) Now, close the bag top and massage the oil into the air filter, while the bag protects your hands.

Once done, take out the filter and put it back in the bike. With the Scorpa filter, it is really easy as you can grab the edge of the rubber gasket, pull it out of the bag, and drop it in the bike. Snap down the clips, and your done.

Now, if you really want it easy, get the Scorpa SY250F. Pop out the Green cotton (K&N style) filter, blow it off with the compressed air hose, and drop it back in the bike!

Now, if you really want it easy, get the Scorpa SY250F. Pop out the Green cotton (K&N style) filter, blow it off with the compressed air hose, and drop it back in the bike!

I'm not sure about the compressed air idea.

From K&N:

CAUTION: THE USE OF ANY OTHER DRYING METHODS (I.E. COMPRESSED AIR, DRYER HEATERS, HEAT GUNS) COULD DAMAGE FILTER.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm

+ +

Unlike a plastic foam air filter which is very difficult to tear, the cotton used in a filter can rip relatively easily, compromising the filtering integrity of the cotton.

Edited by MalibuDon

So that is fortunate, luckily I can't think of a scenario where you might find yourself in regular exposure to exhaust gasses wich haven't been passed through a good warmed up catalytic converter.......... can you?

Sitting in queues at sections

Yep. Worrying when you think about it isn't it?

I read a report on emissions a few years ago concerning the chemicals which are not filtered out of exhaust gas until a cat reaches running temperature. The writer of the report came to the conclusion that you should avoid coming into contact with exhaust emissions at all costs until your cat warms up.

Imagine what he would have said if he'd been asked to consider a dozen trials bikes running unleaded fuel mixed with oil all sat in a queue waiting their turn with engines running.

He also researched the effect of breathing unleaded petrol fumes, these fumes are also very bad for you.

Forgive me if I am wrong but don't American petrol pumps make an air tight seal over the filler because of this?

I'll try to find the report and see if there's a link I can post, it makes interesting reading for any petrol head.

Forgive me if I am wrong but don't American petrol pumps make an air tight seal over the filler because of this?

You're in the ballpark with this.

The seal isn't air tight. The hose vacuums the fumes back down into the underground tank. This isn't done to protect the person pumping the gas (at least not directly). The purpose is to reduce air pollution.

So that is fortunate, luckily I can't think of a scenario where you might find yourself in regular exposure to exhaust gasses wich haven't been passed through a good warmed up catalytic converter.......... can you?

Sitting in queues at sections

Yep. Worrying when you think about it isn't it?

I read a report on emissions a few years ago concerning the chemicals which are not filtered out of exhaust gas until a cat reaches running temperature. The writer of the report came to the conclusion that you should avoid coming into contact with exhaust emissions at all costs until your cat warms up.

Imagine what he would have said if he'd been asked to consider a dozen trials bikes running unleaded fuel mixed with oil all sat in a queue waiting their turn with engines running.

He also researched the effect of breathing unleaded petrol fumes, these fumes are also very bad for you.

I'll try to find the report and see if there's a link I can post, it makes interesting reading for any petrol head.

I had heard some time ago that emissions from unleaded fuel was more dangerous if it went through an engine without a cat converter. Seems to me that we should avoid sitting in queues with bikes running blowing exhaust fumes into the face of those behind. (we had this topic about a year ago and a couple of very knowledgable tykes said there was nowt to worry about!!!!)

This is exactly why i move on to another section if there is a big wait for a section,i know there's a bad view on that by alot of other rider's, but it's gotta be better for me jumping a section and go onto one that's clear than sucking on 6 tail pipe's.

Edited by bilco

I've found an interesting link on the unleaded fuel subject. I've started a new topic in Mechanical talk, as we've gone of the question of this original post.

Sorry if this all seems a little boring, but it's a real eye opener to anyone who washes their filter in petrol. Or those who sit in a queue with their engine running.

Cheers